Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2001 3.5L Montero XLS Temperature Sensors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ylekyote

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 18:31    Post subject: 2001 3.5L Montero XLS Temperature Sensors Reply with quote

Yowdy...

I have this Montero with about 175,000 miles on it. It has the dash coolant temp gauge problem where it's shorted out and doesn't work/fluctuates.

I installed an analog water temp gauge in the larger of the two sensor ports that sit next to each other on the intake manifold.

I unplugged both before installing new sensor, one at a time and together and the dash gauge acted the same.  Furthermore, the motor ran fine.  I removed the larger 2-wire sensor, which is apparently the ECU sensor (I didn't know this at the time) and placed the new sensor inside of it and ran the Montero for 35 minutes verifying temperature and that it runs fine. It seemed to be totally fine even though I diconnected the ECU sensor.  Vehicle got up to 185-190 degrees F in about 5 minutes and ran smoothly. I revved the motor several times through 4,500 RPMs during the 35 minutes. Tested A/C and Heat, etc.  All seems normal.

2 questions...

Does anyone know what this sensor does for the vehicle and how it 'should' behave if it's disconnected as I have done?  It has Mitsubishi part numbers of
MD177572 and MD182467 (one supercedes).

The aftermarket analog mechanical sensors will not fit in the port of the gauge sensor (the smaller sensor with a single wire connection, part number MD091056).  I'm unsure if there is another port to use for the aftermarket sensor...I don't see one.  Is there one?

Thanks!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 18:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ecu temp sensor tells the ecu the engine temp so it can adjust fuel and air mix also when it goes faulty it can stop the engine from starting as it thinks the engine is to hot to prevent damage so i would stick it back in and get an adaptor you can fit into the top radiator hose for your aftermarket gauge..
ylekyote

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird it has performed as usual, which is well.

I have 2 each 2003 year 3.8L Montero and their AC condenser fan only runs when the AC I on.

I noticed before and after the gauge install that the AC fan on this 2001 3.5L runs all the time.  Do you by chance know if that's normal for this year/motor?
hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

the a/c should only run when the a/c is on but it may also come on when the engine temperature reaches a critical point and needs extra cooling so the ecu may switch the a/c fan on to help the main engine fan to cool the system this is also linked to the main ecu temp sensor but it may have another temp switch somewhere,is your model  USA built or europe japan build Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: