Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Hello! New purchase, turbo issue?!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlesB

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 20:54    Post subject: Hello! New purchase, turbo issue?!? Reply with quote

2003 Shogun DID Equippe SWB

So, it’s great to be here. I was after a 4x4 for the winter and looked at loads of Shogun SWB for about 2500. There weren’t many and, of course, on eBay there was a car with what I believe is a blown turbo. I chucked on a bid of just over £500 and won. The symptoms are white smoke and it won’t rev over 2000. I am planning to trailer the car to a well trusted mechanic but would like some information on turbo replacement. It has 90k on the clock. I have owned many Land Rovers and not inexperienced in cars that cost a fortune to fix, but would like some sage advice on going forward. Many thanks,
C.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 20:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - welcome to the club.

Try changing the fuel filter before spending a lot of money on the turbo.
CharlesB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much. I will look at that first.
SteveW-DID

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

A blown turbo would not stop it reving. Check the MAP pipe is attached and clear, check the fuel filler pipe. Unfortunately fuel pump is a possibility here.
CharlesB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I have spoken to a fuel pump reconditioning company. He claims that 2004 is the changeover from a manual to an electronic pump. Is this true? And how do I find this information out? I hope it’s not the pump!
Many, many thanks again.
SteveMilner

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much so take this with a pinch of salt.

White smoke would indicate coolant in the cylinder I think.

Can you get the coolant system checked for a failed cylinder head or gasket? My garage has a thing that checks for it chemically.

Regards,
Stephen

Last edited by SteveMilner on Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:08; edited 2 times in total
SteveW-DID

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel pump for the gen 3's 2000-2007 new shape are all the same type,electronic direct injection, there are I believe two pump part numbers but they are basically the same. Yes water in the combustion chambr will cause white smoke at start up, usually due to cracked head but again engine will rev normally after the initial start and you would be loosing coolant
CharlesB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone. The car has arrived at my mechanic who is a master at repairs for the minimum of cost! He can’t look at it until Wednesday so I will post again then. I would like to fix this as it I need a 4x4 for the winter. It has great off road tyres and a winch so that should be fun. I will keep posting as that might help others. Thank you all again for a tremendous welcome. Watch this space!
CharlesB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all of the advice. So, the mechanic has diagnosed that the intercooler has sprung a leak. We have ordered a replacement and its coming on Monday. He has stopped the car smoking by some trickery and now the remaining problem is its inability to rev over 2000rpm. Could this leak be the issue?
The saga continues!
Many thanks,
Charles.
SteveW-DID

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure he said intercooler? EGR cooler more likely source of white smoke. Again this would not stop it revving-well i suppose an intercooler leak might if its bad enough. We await the outcome with interest!
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intercooler leak would as it isn't getting the required pressure and the pump won't deliver the required fuel.
SRJ

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesB wrote:
Thanks again for all of the advice. So, the mechanic has diagnosed that the intercooler has sprung a leak. We have ordered a replacement and its coming on Monday. He has stopped the car smoking by some trickery and now the remaining problem is its inability to rev over 2000rpm. Could this leak be the issue?
The saga continues!
Many thanks,
Charles.

Havent done that much work on these old motors but an intercooler leaking is unlikely to stop it from revving..

It would just give a boost leak (whooshing sound when revving) White smoke is normally burning water (craked head/head gasket/egr cooler leaking into cylinders).

As ive just found out myself, fuel lines and filters are pretty likely culprits. relatively easy to rule out with a hand primer and some clear 8mm pipe.
mof000

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine needed a new turbo and it wouldn't rev past 2000 revs. The stability light came on and engine management light lf i tried to chug it up the road. It would start first turn of the key. It also kicked out a shed load of smoke also.
SunbeamFanatic

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine developed a loss of power and wouldn't rev and produced a load of white smoke, eventually the fault was traced to a couple of switches/relays under the engine which governed fuel supply.

Turbo failure is usually dark smoke due to oil getting into the exhaust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: