Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Help!! Front suspension top and bottom Ball joint issues....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biggaz84

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 22:34    Post subject: Help!! Front suspension top and bottom Ball joint issues.... Reply with quote

Evening all. I have revently replaced top and bottom ball joints on both sides plus trsck rod ends and drop links so i thought it would be all hunky dory. Its now knocking again, buy was fine for a few days. Upon inspection it seems like the ball joints wernt pulled all the way in, especially the bottom ball joint. Ive removed the split pin again and tried to tighten the castle nut some more but its tight and now the ball joint is just spinning arround. Am i missing something, do they need pressing in? I just assunemed it was tighten till.it was tight, job done. First job ive done thats made it worse than it was before. Thanks in advance.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 22:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Biggaz84

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

2001 3.2 did by the way 👍
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the spindle is too small in diameter, so wrong ball joint for your model.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always try a thick spring washer under the castle nut - it will allow the nut to pull the taper in a bit further, assuming there is enough thread on the spindle.

Just make sure that you can get the split pin in afterwards though - don't rely on the spring washer to keep it secure.
alienidea
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me with a rear top balljoint ..i used 2 thick washers to press it refitted the caster with plenty of thread on the spindle it did the trick  Very Happy
SRJ

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the nuts fully tight? Sounds like the balljoint is spinning inside inside the casing rathen than pulling the taper in tight.

Maybe worth lifting under the balljoint with a jack and tighten it again just incase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: