QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

VSS won't budge!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Chimp

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 21:30    Post subject: VSS won't budge! Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm suffering from the seemingly ubiquitous problem of no speedo AND no O/D. I headed over to the VSS on the transmission case but it won't budge  Confused . Removed the bolt and U clamp but no go. Should the entire thing simply fall out of the case?

The Chimp
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 21:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

brucemillar

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you are referring to the speedometer sender in the transmission?  If yes then it should come out with lout too much resistance. Mine fell out.

On mine it was the actual clocks that had failed. Causing the issues you are getting with no OFD and no Speedo.
The Chimp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruce, I think my clocks are fine, the tacho works as expected. On my '95 2.8 the vehicle speed sensor is on the back of the transfer box. As you say, I reckon it should simply drop out but I don't want to apply any method of persuasion unless I'm certain. I know that both the speedo and the OD (4th gear) drop out when the VSS is faulty. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Cheers
dhammika

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to remove entire thing. Just disconnect the socket and unscrew the Sender part from the gear housing. Re-fix the U clamp and screw. Get a fitting wrench and remove the sender.
The Chimp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just fitted a new sensor to the gear housing but there's no change, speedo and OD still not working. The gear drive is jammed into the transfer cover and won't move. I've tried the mallet and block of wood persuasion method to no avail. My next step is to remove the rear transfer cover and get the whole thing on the bench.
The Chimp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, I managed to remove the driven gear from the transfer case and discovered the nylon cog looked like it had been held over a flame for an hour or two. I guess at some point in the past the transfer case has been running dry!! I'm now in pursuit of a new driven gear (or just the cog) before I do transfer case oil change and renew the oil seals in the rear cover. Not sure if this link will work but this is what I found.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183strathtongue/31579175677/in/datetaken-public/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: