2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Help please with fault code p1298

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigwatta1710

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:04    Post subject: Help please with fault code p1298 Reply with quote

Hello all I have a 2007 mitsubishi shogun 3.2 auto lwb which keeps going in to limp mode and shows up with fault code p1298 overboost I have checked rod on to turbo which is moving freely and put on new map sensor and new emission valve but still the same there is no smoke engine is good

Has anyone any ideas to help caus this is driving me mad  Sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

theron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked to see if your inlet manifold is full of oily soot?  In particular check the pipe from the MAP Sensor to the inlet manifold.  The pipe can get clogged up at the manifold end and prevent the MAP Sensor from sensing the manifold pressure.
Bigwatta1710

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was in a quite a mess I took of top part of manifold and separated bottom manifold caus I could seem to get rest of manifold to come off even though I removed all bolts all parts were cleaned and put back on and also made sure all pipes were clear

I have also removed turbo and cleaned was in quite a state now moving freely but still get same fault code under hard acceleration
theron

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

The workshop manual has this information:

Code No. P1298: Variable Geometry Turbocharger Control System Malfunction (high pressure)

Check Condition : Engine is running

Judgment Criterion : Actual boost pressure is higher than target boost pressure by more than 6.7 kPa

So it sounds like you are getting too much boost.  A decent scan tool should allow you to view the manifold pressure:  At full acceleration at 3000rpm the boost pressure should be in the range 178.9 to 188.2 kPA

I would then check the wastegate actuator using a manual pressure pump.  The actuator should start to move at 126.0-131.4 kPA.  Also check the rubber hoses to the wastegate actuator.

You have checked the rod moves OK, this rod is the 'Swirl Control Valve' and alters the angle of the vanes in the turbo.
Bigwatta1710

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the rod you are on about the one attached to the turbo the turbo it is moving freely I have not checked with vacuum pump but I do have snap on diagnosis and it seems to go to 187kpa at full throttle but on my tool there is a other boost pressure readings of 162kpa but this one didn't seem to alter much the live data vtn target boost is at 99kpa at idle and 188kpa at full boost 🤔🤔
I have also replaced vacuum hoses to map sensor and waste gate actuator
Do you know at what kpa the turbo actuator should hit the maximum stop
theron

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what the 162kPa value is either but if you're getting 187kPa and the target is 188kPa then that sounds fine.

When exactly does the engine go into limp home?  Is it while you are on full throttle or is it when you lift off?

There is a VGT solenoid that controls the vacuum to the VGT actuator which is connected to the rod coming out of the turbo.  This rod controls the vanes inside the turbo to direct more gas flow into the turbine.  When the solenoid is switched off and the vacuum lost the rod should return by means of a spring.

This thread has a similar problem: https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=55805

For them it was *beep* in the VGT solenoid (caused by a missing dust cap) that caused it to leak air to the actuator when it should have been closed.  They cleaned it.
Bigwatta1710

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens when on full throttle usually when rev is at 4000 rpm in 3rd gear I have replaced the solenoid valve bought new one from millner 4 x4 not cheap at a £130
I was thinking of putting a bleed valve between map sensor and inlet manifold to try and stop overboost but not sure if it would work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: