Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Gearstick loose floppy?? post in progress....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dougelove

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 22:56    Post subject: Gearstick loose floppy?? post in progress.... Reply with quote

So my gearstick is like a ripped Welly! No issues with gears and when I find one it stays in, it's just loose as! So today I got stuck in with thanks to Simon and his schematics. Now I know mine hasn't been messed with as it's a one owner. However when I opened it up from the inside, what I found set alarm bells ringing. I hadn't ordered any parts as I wanted to check before I buy and I'm glad I did.
After partial removal of the gearstick and 4 retaining bolts, I found the top plate and gasket and set aside. Inside the cup it appears to be full of rust, after it failed to collect on the magnet, I can only assume it wasn't rust. I removed the "common bottom bush" again this was full of "rust chunks". Cleaning this out I realized it wasn't actually rust but, now correct me if I'm wrong, the remenants of the original bush or fulcrum that encased the gearstick ballend, this then sits on the common available nylon bush. That won't stop the slop!  
Well I found both parts, the fulcrum I'm again assuming due to the colour listed and what I retrieved, and the bush from Thailand auction site! Milners only sell the nylon bush.
Having extensively searched and found nothing mentioned about this fulcrum I'd thought I'd share. I have to wait a few weeks for delivery and then I'll take some pictures as I progress. Hopefully it'll fix the sloppy stick and help others out.
Stand fast.....
Doug

Feel free to tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree.....
PS. Just found an OP! From 2012  - no pics tho.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 22:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Dougelove

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the fulcrum arrived today.looks good.  Going to have a go at fitting tomorrow.see how it feels.
Pic to big to post!
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougelove wrote:

Pic to big to post!

You need to upload images to a hosting site such as Imgur, then use links to display them here.
Dougelove

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attacked it today. Easy enough however removing the retaining pin required lots of cursing and brute force. Couldn't even get the end of the gearstick off to make things easier. Instead i had to do it in situ. I couldn't remove the pin, however I have asked a friend if he has a pin removal tool, so bear with me. As a temporary fix I managed to wedge some dense neoprene material in the void where the fulcrum should be. I have put it all back together again and it appears to have subdued the ripped welly effect! Everything works as it should so all is good. I purchased tbe parts from Thailands eBay https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282868656973
I couldn't find them anywhere else. Will await my mechanic and see if he can remove the pin.
All in all if the pin had come out it would've been a 20minute job for £8.

http://imgur.com/gallery/UbNbYhe

Last edited by Dougelove on Wed Dec 19, 2018 17:27; edited 1 time in total
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. Another job ticked off.  Smile
Dougelove

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job done correctly. Mechanic turned up with a van full of tools and the retain pin was removed with a little heat and a punch not too much effort. New fulcrum in place and reassembled. Less than 30mins. Just like it was when it rolled out the factory. Tight as a gnats bum!
http://imgur.com/gallery/LaGW7y2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: