QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2002 Shogun lwb 3.2 did auto 5th gear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisf-1

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 19:53    Post subject: 2002 Shogun lwb 3.2 did auto 5th gear Reply with quote

Hi everyone shogun in the title is not going into 5th gear auto or tiptronic any suggestions welcome
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 19:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the vehicles engine running fast enough, even in tiptronic mode it changes down automatically at about 1400 RPM.
chrisf-1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure it is but will double check tomorrow thanks Chris
chrisf-1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked this morning at over 3000 rpm it is not changing into 5th tiptronic or auto
JPB

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisf-1 wrote:
Checked this morning at over 3000 rpm it is not changing into 5th tiptronic or auto

Roughly what was the air temperature when you noticed this? Has it been colder in your part recently than it's been since you first bought the car? What happens if you give the gearbox more time to warm up? A good run can be required in some cases, though I haven't seen the innards of the unit in your full size Pajero so if there's no protection against changing up on cold fluid and/or when the engine temperature is still below "normal", then ignore the above.
chrisf-1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the UK so I do not think the temperature is any concern at all but it is certainly not cold enough to even consider but thanks anyway
JPB

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the point is that most overdrive ratios in automatics don't engage 'til operating temperature has been reached, according to the spec sheet, fourth is 1:1 on yours, so 5th is an overdrive, albeit not in the sense of a separate unit..
I

3.52 (13)

II

2.042 (7.54)

III

1.4 (5.17)

IV

1 (3.69)

V

0.716 (2.64)

So it's entirely possible that it won't change up unless it's warm enough, which is normal up to around a KM or two, but if this lasts further, then internal rubber seals could have hardened and this allows the pressure to be reduced by sufficient to mean that the shift will be postponed 'til the fluid is warm enough and these old seals have softened off through heat. That you stay in the UK is irrelevant. So do I and this happens to the ZF transmission in my larger 4x4 as well as the Aisin U340E in the daily driver.

Low fluid is another possible cause, and as the level rises when the unit is warm through so o/d fifth may work at that time, but how far have you driven before giving up? Depending on the state of the seals, the temperature and hence the pressure, this can lengthen considerably - from under 1KM to ten or more times the distance is usual and something that won't cause damage in itself unless external leaks are happening, but will simply become more annoying as it progresses.
chrisf-1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is my daily driver and is used as such the temp gauge reads normal although the heater only blows warm what happened to the simple 2.8 merry xmas Chris
mof000

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the early 3.2 pajero's were only four speed. Maybe someone has changed the autobox?
https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1999/2014115/mitsubishi_pajero_3_2_di-d_exceed_5door.html
chrisf-1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could be right but with my luck I doubt it happy new year
mof000

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any luck?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: