Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

96' Pajero hunting and odd idle issue

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wales660

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame this subject has gone quiet but im sure lots of people still have this problem

The two sensors  ,well its one sensor and one filter which feeds the sensor and these parts are only available from japan

ME202119  Don,t be fooled in people offering a compatible sensor they will not work trust me i have tried them and an engine check light will appear straight after fitting the wrong sensor.

In my opinion this is where you need to start if you have eliminated AIR getting into the fuel line.

Mine still has the odd blip when taking it on a long motorway run but its not very often, I usually use it to travel to work and back and its runs perfectly. My next challenge is to sort this odd blip and im pretty sure where to look. The throttle body has 2 butterflies and ive noticed the oil seals are leaking out, so if it can spit oil out from the crank case it can also let air in too. So im waiting for some bits to arrive to make a vacuum smoke detector to see if the is any vacuum leaks which need addressing. I suspect the throttle body will produce smoke. I havent wanted to do this as a matter of urgency as the pajero is running very well.  Gone are the days pulling up to the lights running like a bag of bolts.

My advice is only from experience and im not a mechanic either

Thanks

Jeff
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 20:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Everkeen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1997 EDC equipped Pajero has been having the issues described here. The odd stumble, especially after stopping at a light. Some rough running in the cold. I also get awful fuel mileage, around 500 km a tank (is this about what people have been getting?), and that's on the highway going 100km/h steady.  I am glad to have found this thread. I have removed the orange filter described here and it was indeed full of gunk and airflow though it when i inhaled thru the long stem was poor. After cleaning it with some brake clean it flows much better now. The vacuum line to the MAP sensor is clean, but after reinstalling I found the clamp wasn't holding the line on very tight, and there wasn't even a clamp present on the sensor side so I added a zip tie to both to snug them up. We'll see how it goes from here.
wales660

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like normal mpg your getting in my opinion  

I regularly get 320 miles to a tank of fuel and sometimes more if motorway driving probably 350 miles max            miles  not km's

Just replace the pipe for a new one id say (silicone vacuum tubing)
TOMMYN

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wales660, can I just ask how did you go about obtaining sensor and filter from Japan, did you go through a mitsi dealer or contact mitsi Japan directly.
wales660

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amayama.com/en
wales660

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to

1.Register with Amayama trading
2.Need your Vin number to use the parts catalogues
3.Order and pay for parts
4.Track item from Japan to UK
5. When its in UK  call customs to pay the duty otherwise it will just sit in customs

Then you will receive it by post to your address

Very long winded process but I have not come across a cheaper way to get the hard to find genuine parts.

*****Be sure the problem you have is caused by the Map sensor as it expensive if you guessing its that part is at fault*****    <<< I would suggest starting here from my experience

You have checked the usual ? ie

Air in fuel caused usually by dodgy filter or lift pump      
Egr valve faulty
Tps sensor
Intake manifold leaks
Vacuum hose leak
Vacuum solenoids for emission control
Air-con
Injectors
Pump seal
Timing chain
Tank pick up filter
Throttle body leaking

Be prepared to go through all these checks  "Ive spent more money on parts than I actually paid for my Pajero"

Keep your chin up  and dont let the EDC break you.

Jeff Very Happy
TOMMYN

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thankyou for the info, I think that's the next thing I shall try because I have always thought it to be a sensor problem because if I do the idle relearn it runs perfect for a week at a time each time I do it . so it has to be something sending info to ECU. The relearn procedure wouldn,t cure a physical or mechanical fault in my way of thinking.
Everkeen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's been a few weeks and I've put in quite a bit of mileage going to school and back and I am happy to report its been running like a top. All the surging at lights and odd cold start problems have been resolved, crossing my fingers it stays that way. I am going to replace the vacuum line going to the MAP sensor at some point as it doesn't fit very snug and my zip tie clamps don't hold very tight. All I did was clean that screen out with brake clean and snug the vacuum line up.
wales660

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d say in your case the orange filter was blocked and restricted the vacuum pressure to the Map sensor. Glad to see people are using this advice. But not in all cases will it be as easy as cleaning the orange filter

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: