QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Turbo Lag / Loss of Power Woes!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stargirl79

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 19:46    Post subject: Turbo Lag / Loss of Power Woes! Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
I am at the end of my tether with my 2007 3.2 SWB auto Shogun Equippe Sad  Sad  I've had 2 brilliant older Shoguns previously that have been old but had no major issues except the usual rust & wear. Sadly this new model is causing me no end of headaches..... I've owned it for nearly 2 years now & use it for towing my horse trailer. For the first 6 months it was ace, then the troubles started....

A bad batch of supermarket diesel (lesson learnt, BP or Shell ever since) led to 5 months of issues, 4 fuel filter changes & a fuel tank drain & clean. This is relevant to the current issue because fuel pump, filters & lines have been looked at.

So the current issue - started getting turbo lag issues, got progressively worse over a few months until I started getting extreme turbo lag, loss of power & crawling along at about 5mph. Never any dash warning lights, smoke or other signs. Didn't seem to matter whether the engine was hot or cold. Put it into my garage (brilliant place, trust them fully - workshop manager is an ex Mitsubishi head mechanic so knows his Shoguns) who found a blocked turbo hose & cleared it. Car was fine for a week then same issues started again. Back into the garage, manifold split & about 10 bags of turbo soot was hoovered out! Turbo itself looked fine. Had a major service the week after & was sweet as a nut after that. This was early December.

At Christmas my exhaust snapped Sad of course right on the cusp of the middle & back section so both had to be replaced.... picked it up and got turbo lag & loss of power about 25 mins into my drive. Had to pull over on the dual carriageway, turn off engine & wait for a bit whilst swearing a lot & threatening to trade it in for a Land Cruiser (empty threat - Shogun is on finance & I could never afford a Landcruiser). Re started the engine & it drove fine after that. Put that down to maybe now the exhaust didn't have a massive split in it, maybe engine had to readjust? Anyway didn't happen again so I didn't worry too much.

Thursday morning driving home from the yard got turbo lag & loss of power twice! Then again on the way to work Sad Called my garage who said pop it in. Drove it there at lunch & had ridiculous loss of power then engine cut out just round the corner from the garage Sad AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH! My garage thankfully gave me one of their many courtesy cars straight away (I've driven all of them now) & then I realised the front tyre was totally flat when I got to the horse yard after work....... Much to the amusement of all my yard friends who think I am cursed when it comes to cars..... Anyway, spare wheel on & no harm done.....

Garage called this afternoon & said they aren't 100% sure of the issue but think it could be the ETR?? (I think that's what he said, some valve or something). They said I could get a 2nd opinion but as I don't have an arm & leg to give to Mitsubishi, I'll stick with my garage.

Reading forum posts I see fuel filter & turbo issues seem to be quite common on these newer models. Anyone got any ideas about this? This car seems to be an unreliable money pit (had a seized caliper too thrown into the mix & had to have both sets of back discs, pads etc replaced £££) & I'm paying for all these issues plus the finance on it every month but can't even consider taking my horse anywhere until I know the issue is sorted - do not want to be stuck up a hill towing my horse with no power Surprised  Surprised

Failing that does anyone want to buy a kidney to fund all this?!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 19:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

alienidea
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you find out what was wrong with the supermarket fuel ...water in the fuel...?.And did the garage mean the EGR not the ETR as can,t find anything about that ?.Also just a thought but has your garage plug in to see if the shogun is thown a fault code up.But as far as the rest goes it,s just bad lucky really .
Stargirl79

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes water & my tank had a lot of particles of rubbish in it. Looked like someone (not me) had used red diesel.....
Could well be EGR. Not something I'd heard of before (I learn as stuff goes wrong Smile ) I was going to get a diagnostics check as Halfords were offering one for free last month, now I look & it's £49! Wasn't sure if it was worth it seeing as I hadn't had any warning lights or fault codes?
mof000

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the fuel filler pipes and fuel lines for corrosion? Last thing you want is to have to change the fuel pump.
Could be the reason why you have water and sh!+e in your fuel tank.
SteveW-DID

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

new shape headlights or old?
SteveW-DID

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you loose power pull off the battery lead,wait 10s then replace, works for me.
SteveMilner

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

mof000 wrote:
Have you checked the fuel filler pipes and fuel lines for corrosion? Last thing you want is to have to change the fuel pump.
Could be the reason why you have water and sh!+e in your fuel tank.

This seems to be a common problem and worth checking. Plenty of articles about it on here.

I am however inclined to think EGR though.

You need to get your fault codes read though.
SunbeamFanatic

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you lose power do you notice any smoke coming from the exhaust, if so, what colour, white or grey?

I suffered lack of power at random times but was accompanied by plumes of white smoke, turned out to be a couple of switches/relays under the engine which govern fuel supply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: