Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Winter Pack Batteries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darfash

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 15:26    Post subject: Winter Pack Batteries Reply with quote

Hi

Stupid question probably.
I'm having problems starting our lwb Pajero in the mornings, black smoke on start up , after three or four efforts to get the old girl going, then runs fine all day.
I want to charge one of the batteries up before the heavy snow starts, but the question is do I have to disconect both batteries or can I get away with just disconnecting one of them and leave the other on connected up (its 2 months old now)?
Cheers for any answers and any suggestions on poor starting would be an added extra.

Darfash
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 15:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should replace the batteries as a pair. Putting a new one on with an old one will cause the old one to discharge the new one more quickly. Ideally the pair should be the same make and the same capacity.

As for your question - you can disconnect the positive lead of the one you want to charge and wrap the terminal on the loose lead with a thick plastic bag to insulate it - do not let it touch anything as it is connected to the other battery via the starter motor terminal.
NDZ

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black smoke could be a glow plug fault, also worth fitting new air & fuel filters and running some injector cleaner through. Should only cost around £50 for the lot but I'd make sure you get branded glow plugs (check correct voltage) and I suspect that would improve the starting or at least provide some more clues. Do you have an EGR blank or have you ever cleaned the intake manifold & intercooler?
Darfash

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Re: starting issue. It had new filters in June when I bought it, not sure about blanked off egr, but I'm now disabled and crawling around cars is not what I'm capable off any more. I've run injector cleaners through for three weeks now, no idea if intake manifold have been cleaned. I will try replacing the oldest battery first and see if this helps. This is a shame because the car is in bloody good condition otherwise. So it will be booked into the local garage soon, hopeful we won't get snowed in for the next few weeks, as this is what the car was originally bought for. It was fine starting until the cold weather set in.
Thank you for your advice.

Darfash
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Peteinchad wrote earlier, don't just replace one battery. All you will do is to bring the new one down to the level of the older one. Even if they are identical brands/rating etc.

You need to determine a few things before just replacing parts.

Is the engine cranking over fast enough?  Is the glow plug rail getting 12v on start?  Is each glow plug working properly?
Darfash

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Garage changed all plugs but still the problem persists, they suggested it was the solenoid, so have to wait until I can get the car back into the garage again.

Any other suggestions would be ratefully accepted.

Cheers
Darfash
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darfash wrote:

My suggestion is to find a better garage!  

As per my earlier post they shouldn't have changed the plugs without checking the operation of the existing plugs first, and that would have verified the condition of the solenoid too.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darfash wrote:
Hi

Garage changed all plugs but still the problem persists, they suggested it was the solenoid, so have to wait until I can get the car back into the garage again.

Cheers
Darfash

This really boils my p1ss (excuse my language but it does) when people, especially garages, fit new parts without diagnosing first... just sticking in new heater plugs without any diagnosis in the way of checking for a power supply to them is complete stupidity AND THEN they suggest what else the fault maybe and expect you to pay for there parts they fitted by mistake  Shocked  Twisted Evil

Its so bloody easy and simple to do on a 2.8 and it takes literally 10 seconds longer to do than opening the bonnet does.......
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:

As for your question - you can disconnect the positive lead of the one you want to charge and wrap the terminal on the loose lead with a thick plastic bag to insulate it - do not let it touch anything as it is connected to the other battery via the starter motor terminal.

OR just disconnect the battery's earth lead which is miles safer to do and you can leave it hanging around without insulating it too  Very Happy

Basic mechanics, when removing or refitting a battery always remove the earth first and fit the earth last, this way if you touch your spanner on anything earth there will be absolutely no issue what so ever as its all earth and if you hit your spanner on something earth when doing the positive terminal it dont matter as the battery earth is disconnected anyway  Laughing
Darfash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Garage had a mess around with the solenoid and it seems all to be OK now. Just a small puff of white smoke on start up now. Will keep it going now until winters' end and then spend some more money on it in Spring.
The garage that did the work put me ahead of everything they had booked, and did a good job on it considering the time limits they had to do it.

Anyway thank you all for your replies and interest.

Darfash
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: