QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

ABS problem - 3.0L V6 Pajero 1994

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozymandias24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:08    Post subject: ABS problem - 3.0L V6 Pajero 1994 Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have recently had the brake pads replaced on my Pajero (with original spare parts) and the ABS has gone haywire! First off, the ABS light on the dashboard started coming on randomly. Now, I can hear some sort of whirring motor going off most of the time when driving. Noise appears to originate from around the passenger-side dashboard (this is a LHD Pajero, originally imported from Germany).

When there is no noise, the brakes work fine. When there is noise, the brake pedal will not push down all the way, and makes loud crunching sounds when I do manage to push it down. If I push down two or three times, I can usually get the pedal to fully depress. In terms of braking, you can get the car to stop, but it feels like the pads are engaging and disengaging repeatedly in a less than optimal fashion, with lots of crunch.

I am concerned that this is a safety issue and would like to know what to tell the mechanics. I am in Madagascar so the odds of getting proper diagnostics done are very slim!

Cheers,

Oz
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds suspiciously like the hydraulic brake booster is faulty and they are very expensive, they did a recall on them so check with Mitsubishi and check if your model was done.
Si7

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there can be an ABS problem induced if the caliper pistons are wound backwards to fit new pads without loosening a bleed nipple, I've read that several times on here.

Also there is a diagnostic procedure you can do yourself with the fault code(s) being displayed in a series of flashes via the ABS light, I did this years ago on an Exceed with ABS and the fault was flashed out as the G-sensor below the centre console. I'll try and find the procedure.

My current SWB has ABS and I may possibly be breaking it if you need some impossible to source components, not sure about shipping to Madagascar though.
ozymandias24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

assassin wrote:
Sounds suspiciously like the hydraulic brake booster is faulty and they are very expensive, they did a recall on them so check with Mitsubishi and check if your model was done.

Any ideas where I can check assassin? My VIN is: JMB0NV430PJ002046, but when I type this into https://www.mitsubishicars.com/recall#, it says "We can't find this VIN".

I hope it's not the hydraulic brake booster, as I have no idea where I'd find one here in Madagascar....
ozymandias24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Si7 wrote:
I think there can be an ABS problem induced if the caliper pistons are wound backwards to fit new pads without loosening a bleed nipple, I've read that several times on here.

Also there is a diagnostic procedure you can do yourself with the fault code(s) being displayed in a series of flashes via the ABS light, I did this years ago on an Exceed with ABS and the fault was flashed out as the G-sensor below the centre console. I'll try and find the procedure.

My current SWB has ABS and I may possibly be breaking it if you need some impossible to source components, not sure about shipping to Madagascar though.

If you could find the procedure, that would be really helpful. I'll take it in for diagnostics next week I think. Yea, also not sure about shipping to Madagascar! More likely I'd do what I did with the last fault: get a used spare from South Africa next time I'm over there. Thanks for the offer though!

In the mean time, any thoughts on how safe the car is to drive? At the moment when there's no ABS issue the brakes work fine, and when there is they still engage, just in a shuddering manner. Either way, I am able to stop the vehicle (I haven't been driving at anything about 30mph).

Any risk the brakes will completely fail on me?!
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is how to do the testing

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95879&highlight=fault+codes
ozymandias24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

emax wrote:
here is how to do the testing

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95879&highlight=fault+codes

Thanks!
Si7

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember doing the LED thing now reading Emax's link, it wasn't the ABS light flashing out the fault codes, but I did find these old scans from the service manual if it helps. I think it's all covered in the thread Emax linked though.

The 60A fuse on the front battery positive terminal is the ABS power feed if you wanted it disconnected, it's failsafe without power naturally.

https://i.imgur.com/i3UurFY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pstEG9k.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: