QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

3.5 GDI 24v camshaft removal and injectors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith-i

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 22:52    Post subject: 3.5 GDI 24v camshaft removal and injectors Reply with quote

I'm toying with pulling the camshafts on my motor to get the lash adjusters out and give them a good clean. I already have the inlet manifold off as I trace an 'abnormal' fuel pressure fault code (micro filters on order). However, the top of my cylinder head looks quite different from those shown on various internet guides and the workshop manual is silent on dismantling them. Rather than a series of individual bearing caps that bolt down and hold the camshafts in place it looks like there is a complete frame that bolts onto the cylinder head with an RTV gasket. Is it just a matter of unbolting this? If so, what are the torque settings for the bolts when putting it all back together?

Secondly, is there anything to watch out for if I pull the injectors out to get them cleaned?

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 22:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peacebank

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been tempted to do this myself, I have all the parts and have had it apart as far as you have it now (for other reasons at the time), what put me off though is the rubber seals at the back of the cams that need whacking in - There is no room at the back to do it and I was worried about leaving myself a massive oil leak! So for now am putting up with noisy adjusters!

Would be less of an issue if it wasn't my only car.

There is also the lazy part of me that wonders if you can do it without taking off the cambelt, just by moving the cams up slightly when you change the adjusters. Have done the belt already, don't fancy doing it again!
Keith-i

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha. I’m at exactly that same point as you then, just plucking up the courage to pull it apart. As you say, there’s a few bits of the procedure that look fine on paper but nigh on impossible given the tight confines at the back of the engine. I’m actually now going to pull the heads off as I have a coolant leak at the back of the left head where the coolant link pipe bolts on and there’s a fair bit of carbon in the intakes to clean out too. My biggest concern is loosening the exhaust manifold bolts but I reckon I’ll just cut through the exhaust pipe below the manifold and sacrifice the ‘y’ piece to make life easier. Once on the bench I’ll use a nut splitter on the manifold nuts. So long as I can still get the exhaust y piece I should be ok.

I found a 2002 service manual online which seems to correctly cover my 2000 model as far as the camshaft frame is concerned so I now have the torque info I needed.

Where did you get your spares from, Mitsi ot aftermarket?
peacebank

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my adjusters off of a seller called japanese4x4parts on eBay, they were very good at advising me, they needed the VIN number to get the exact parts as it seems there is several different types for the GDI engine depending on application.

If you have never done a belt on one of these engines, be prepared to curse the engineer who designed the front bracket on the engine that should be so easy to remove, but you need to remove the aircon pump and bracket too, which in turn means you need to remove the power steering pump!

My main worry is definitely the rear cam seal though, as I say, just because you can't get to it. I did find a Youtube video once showing the job, and the chap demonstrating just tapped in the seal. But the engine was on a bench. No way you can do that with the engine in as far as I can see.

I have had the inlet manifold off a few times now, it is pretty easy once you know, can probably get it off in 30 mins. Cleaning wasn't too bad, just messy.
Keith-i

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been there too with the timing belt when my crankshaft sensor died. Not a great deal of fun as you say.

I've managed to pick up a Blue Print upper engine gasket kit through Amazon and will get the cylinder head bolts too. The kit looks good but it doesn't appear to have the caps that fit over the rear ends of the camshafts. I was going to cut through the first section of exhaust pipe rather than try and undo the rusted bolts in-situ but as Mitsi now tell me they can't get a replacement exhaust 'y' piece I'll have to give up on that idea and persevere with removing the nuts. Hopefully lots of Plus-Gas and a breaker bar or nut splitter will do it. I really don't want to shear any studs off though.

I'll let you know how I get on.
peacebank

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck!

I might be wrong, but I think the camshaft plug part number is MD150785. Might be a dealer visit to double check, the part number site I use shows it as that, but ebay only has them in the USA!
Keith-i

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I’m making some progress, albeit slow, given I only have an hour or so to tinker with this thing each evening. I’ve started loosening the exhaust manifold bolts and so far those that I’ve tried have turned. I’m waiting on delivery of a new exhaust y-piece which it turns out is still available after all before I loosen everything. I want the spare parts in my hand before I go down the road of no return just in case I break something which isn’t available; that would really spoil my evening.  

I’ve been using Viamoto.co.uk who have been helpful and seem to be able to source Mitsi parts. They can also get the cam shaft caps at £8 a pop. Strangely the complex y-shaped exhaust piece is still available whereas a simple short joining piece running from the right hand manifold isn’t. I suppose that’s the problem with a 19 year old car.

If you need to install the camshaft caps with the engine in situ I wonder if you could press them in with a sash clamp spanning from the back of the engine to the front.
peacebank

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea, hadn't thought of that!
peacebank

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea, hadn't thought of that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: