2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Shogun 3.0V6 Occasional Misfire

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jods101010

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scamper wrote:
Also you'll have to excuse my ignorance on this but I do have good fuel flow to the engine compartment from there it goes to an injection pump or direct to an injector or injectors?
I'm just wondering if there is some rubbish that got up there and has maybe blocked something there?
I don't know much about injection systems but I'm assuming that mine has only one injector which is in the throttle body? Sorry if I'm sounding thick I'm just trying to get my head around it and this is my only means of transport.

Well its possible there is dirt in the injectors - you can try fuel injection cleaner first. There is a fuel regulator that serves the fuel rail, and on to the 6 injectors. It could just be a bad or dirty injector. Have you tried pulling fault codes (if theres a misfire it could be logged)  before going off in different directions. Good flow from the return pipe is ok - if the fuel isnt being used in the engine it has to go somewhere (back to the tank). On some engines you can listen to the injectors opening and closing through a long screwdriver - not sure about accessibility on this engine though.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 15:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Scamper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see the injectors so I'm assuming they are accessible once the plenum assembly is off?
I'll be taking that off to get to the plugs and leads next.  

I'll try some injector cleaner in the tank first and see what happens, got to be worth a go and will save me money and time if it works. Any recommendations. bearing in mind the choice down here is probably different to what's in the UK, we seem only to have Wynns and Redex at the local factors?
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a broken lead when it is one position where it is making contact when idling, as the revs rise it breaks the core and the current is jumping the gap, and at high revs the energy is sufficient to jump the gap.
Scamper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that sounds possible too, anyway due to the accessibility of them I'll try the injector cleaner first then go from there. If and when I need to take off the intake manifold then I'll basically check and replace anything that needs to be replaced whilst in there.
jods101010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scamper wrote:
I can't see the injectors so I'm assuming they are accessible once the plenum assembly is off?
I'll be taking that off to get to the plugs and leads next.  

I'll try some injector cleaner in the tank first and see what happens, got to be worth a go and will save me money and time if it works. Any recommendations. bearing in mind the choice down here is probably different to what's in the UK, we seem only to have Wynns and Redex at the local factors?

Could be worth trying cleaner if the car's been sat around in its life not doing much - but tbh it probably wont do much, more of preventative measure really, but then you never know - I've heard Forte isnt bad, but probably any of them are ok - just max the dose on a lowish tank level. Also don't forget a look at the plugs as well - should be platinum tipped, but unless youve got golden service history could be worth a look/replacement.

And not wanting to be doom monger, but if youve got all that stuff stripped off, and for the sake of another 30 minutes why not check compression levels while your in there - at least you'll know thats not a problem once checked!
Scamper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car sales outlet I bought it from a month ago has now offered to take it back, carry out the necessary repairs at a discounted rate and loan me a car.
I'll let you know what they come back with
jods101010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scamper wrote:
The car sales outlet I bought it from a month ago has now offered to take it back, carry out the necessary repairs at a discounted rate and loan me a car.
I'll let you know what they come back with

So they're going to charge you for repairing a fault that the car had when they sold it to you - sounds a bit (a lot) off to me. I wouldnt be at all happy with that. Nothing to stop them running up a huge number of hours investigating a difficult to find fault - and then charging for it. Sounds more like full refund time to me - but I dont know what consumer rights are like in your part of the world.
Scamper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not quite but I see your point of course. It's not the same down here no and secondhand cars are a lot more expensive than in the UK.
I bought it as seen as a trade in with no warranty.
It drove fine for about a week or so then developed the issue. So the risk was all mine. I have no garage facilities to work on it myself and they have offered me a car whilst it's being done which to be fair they don't have to do.
I do know the owner of the independent garage that is doing the repairs and he has told me that the sellers have instructed him to be fair and reasonable as they have told me. Also that they the sellers will pay the first €400 of any labour costs. I can be present during the diagnosis, and I can buy the parts needed if necessary. I was going down the route of them doing the job in any case before the offer from the sellers and I will have a car for the duration so yes it's going to cost me something of course but the pros should outweigh the cons, at least I hope so.
jods101010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

....doesnt sound too bad then if its an independent doing the work, and if you've got the time it could be interesting to be there to see what they do. It probably is something fairly simple to fix though. Great cars when theyre running right though (apart from the fuel cost if you do lots of miles!). Keep us updated.
Scamper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fixed. It was a breakdown in the HT lead on the middle cylinder right hand side. The one just under the throttle body. Anyway the selling garage replaced all the leads and the plugs at no cost to me so I'm happy now.
Crp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good result....thanks for the update
jods101010

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes its the simple stuff - still worthwhile sorting your fuel issue though as future insurance! Enjoy the motor now
Scamper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, it is a joy to drive the truck now, thing is each time I pull away now I'm half expecting it to falter if you know what I mean!
It is a lovely old wafter, auto changes pretty smooth too. Good leather interior too.
I'll just maintain it regularly now and try and keep it in good all round condition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: