Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Glow Plugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartyB

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:53    Post subject: Glow Plugs Reply with quote

I think the glow plugs need cleaning or replacing on my 2.8 SWB Pajero, hard to start and misfiring with lots of grey smoke, Is this a straightforward job?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very straightforward.  First job I did on my 2.8 Challenger 5 years ago. Smile

Intercooler off (disconnect the electrical connections to it first)

Remove bus bar to plugs

Remove plugs (12mm deep socket IIRC)

Fit new plugs (Be careful! They are steel plugs in an alloy head.  I can look up torque settings if you need them. Otherwise just go by feel and 'nip' them up)

Refit bus bar and electrical connection

Refit intercooler and electrical connections
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try soaking the plugs the night before with a good penetrant, makes removal a little easier, after they have soaked and when you remove them just tighten them (very slightly) then back them off.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenthepipe wrote:
Try soaking the plugs the night before with a good penetrant, makes removal a little easier, after they have soaked and when you remove them just tighten them (very slightly) then back them off.

I am reluctant to disagree with you Ken, but I'd be wary of tightening plugs even a fraction unless they were put in by me or someone I trust.  After all, they could already have been over-tightened to within a smidgen of stripping the threads. Then you give a fraction more of a turn and.........  Shocked
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
kenthepipe wrote:

I am reluctant to disagree with you Ken, but I'd be wary of tightening plugs even a fraction unless they were put in by me or someone I trust.  After all, they could already have been over-tightened to within a smidgen of stripping the threads. Then you give a fraction more of a turn and.........  Shocked

Likewise Simon  Wink . The point being that the threads on the plugs have been soaked previously, and only a miniscule turn is all thats required,  It's all only a millimetre or two, then loosen .
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenthepipe wrote:

Likewise Simon  Wink . The point being that the threads on the plugs have been soaked previously, and only a miniscule turn is all thats required,  It's all only a millimetre or two, then loosen .

Ken, as much as I admire your opinion on most things I'm still not convinced that a glow plug should be tightened prior to removal.

I think the principle of 'tightening to release' applies to a nut and bolt where tightening the nut can break the grip of corrosion on the outside surface of the nut/bolt interface. This then exposes a small amount of clean thread.  But with a glow plug, if there is any corrosion then tightening the thread will move it into the threaded hole.  So I still reckon the 'cleanest' way is to loosen the plug, and not make any movement to tighten it at all.  But each to their own, naturally.

PS My glowplugs seem to fail with monotonous regularity, so there's no chance whatever that they'll seize in their sockets!  Laughing
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
kenthepipe wrote:

Ken, as much as I admire your opinion on most things I'm still not convinced that a glow plug should be tightened prior to removal.

I think the principle of 'tightening to release' applies to a nut and bolt where tightening the nut can break the grip of corrosion on the outside surface of the nut/bolt interface. This then exposes a small amount of clean thread.  But with a glow plug, if there is any corrosion then tightening the thread will move it into the threaded hole.  So I still reckon the 'cleanest' way is to loosen the plug, and not make any movement to tighten it at all.  But each to their own, naturally.

PS My glowplugs seem to fail with monotonous regularity, so there's no chance whatever that they'll seize in their sockets!  Laughing

I always use a small "toothbrush" type wire brush to loosen any loose scale etc from the base of the plug and head, and blow out with the airline and then soak them with plusgas and leave a few hours.
MartyB

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

We removed and cleaned the glow plugs which were sooted up (one in particular), as well as the rail which is fine but still taking ages to start with lots of grey smoke. A friend said it may not be visible one of them could just be faulty so I've ordered a new set, if this doesn't work could it be the relay or injector?
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartyB wrote:
We removed and cleaned the glow plugs which were sooted up (one in particular), as well as the rail which is fine but still taking ages to start with lots of grey smoke. A friend said it may not be visible one of them could just be faulty so I've ordered a new set, if this doesn't work could it be the relay or injector?

Grey/whiteish smoke on start up can usually indicate glow plugs at fault,  the sooted up plug could be the weak link causing your issues as it may not be heating up too well. I would fit the new one's and take it from there ?
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartyB wrote:

The plugs was sooted up because there not getting hot, either because there *beep* or because there is no power getting to them!

With ign only turned on from cold they should be fed by battery voltage for 10 seconds, if they are you need new heater plugs, if there not you need to diagnose as to why?

any kind of work done to remedy this without a test light or volt meter of some kind will be pure guess work so get a test light, £5 from ebay  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: