Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Steel Seal - Suspect head gasket, Cracked Head

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grajack

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 20:59    Post subject: Steel Seal - Suspect head gasket, Cracked Head Reply with quote

After 8 years since I had the head and head gasket changed, I've got symptoms of leaking head gasket or cracked head again.

Don't really want to spend anymore on the old girl, but have wondered what this Steel Seal is like, does it really work and will it cause other problems.

Does anybody have any experience in using this stuff before I try it ?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 20:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we have tested it on a variety of engines and the outcome was no, don't use it.

At best it gives some success and this is mainly in petrol engines with fairly low compression pressures, and this is for a very limited time and the reason dodgy car dealers use it when they want to sell a car quickly and state sold as seen.

In diesel engines it is totally unsuccessful and if it relieves the problem for 1000 miles you are lucky.
grajack

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm Gob smacked, was very scepticle, but thought lets give it a bash, If it doesn't work then I'ts £50.-- Down the pan.

But hey I used two bottles of Steel seal, followed the instructions, and now I have a stable cooling temp and the engine seems to run fine.
I am fully aware that this is not a proper fix, but if I get a few more miles out of the ole girl with out spending out too much, then that's good enough for me.

So for all the other sceptics out there, I has worked for me !!!!
mw6zanhampete

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use any liquid snake oil wonder fixer, it's that simple sorry but the only way forward is to strip off the head and gasket and do a full repair. I had the problem recently on my 2.8 shorty 1996 mk 2 pajero turns out I had two micro cracks on cylinders 3 and 4 between the exhaust valve and water jacket. I used a similar wonder fixer to get me home and clogged up the rad and heater matrix so do not attempt to use this do the job properly costly repair but parts are not so bad from milners new head kit comes in at approx 500 quid and they don't stock cheap china heads, good luck with your repair and may you mud sling for many years to come.👍
Andy1966

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I wouldn't have used it
steel seal rad weld k seal there all false economy and cause more problems in the long term ie heater matrix problems radiator problems
ive been a mechanic for 35 years and never used it but good luck and hope you get a few more miles out of the old girl
pajeropete.2

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 19:44    Post subject: steel seal FIXED my 2.8 TDI PAJ Reply with quote

hi all  i  had my Head gone problem too   so i used Steel Seal as my last option before i was gonna Scrap it lucky for me it Worked a tread. after adding it to my Motor i only drove 2 or 3 mile no more bubbles or steam  no over heating    parked it up for a few hours before driving to work all fine  and that was 18 months ago and still she drives as it should   i was so happy with her i bought a new Radiator and Water Pump just to complete the job  hopefully its should last me a few more years and if its happens again i will buy another bottle of STEEL SEAL .......Easy Fix     ive been a pajero owner for 20 + years,
NDZ

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough but can we really be calling steel seal a fix? Considering the overheating was only a symptom and you never really found out where the problems were. My 2.8 boiled over pulling the trailer got a complete overhaul with a couple of upgrades and the idea that I'd then introduce some space age glue into the system as a fix is crackers. More than anything else it would mean I could no longer think a problems through because any and all parts might be glued up to some degree so its practically an act of self-harm from a mechanical point of view. I'd definitely want some on board for adventures crossing continents but surely for any engine you intend to keep its got to remain for emergency measures only? I'm curious, has anyone subjected a steel seal to pulling a 2t trailer up a hill or otherwise worked the system to a limit for any length of time? I've got nervous knowing full well that my 2.8 is well maintained and if I thought some of these journeys were relying on steel seal I'd ring the AA when setting off  :D

I'm a big fan of Zen & the art of motorcycle maintenance and this would be the wrong tool. Never use the wrong tool.
pajeropete.2

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:26    Post subject: steel seal fixed my motor, Reply with quote

i just mentioned that as my last option i used steel seal.... i didnt have the time or the  £1,500+++++  labour charge from a garage. i also didnt have a second motor to get to work   i was stuck......... thats why i used steel Seal and that was over a year ago. i can only say it Runs great and for the price £27 ebay  it was well worth it.. cause like i said i was thinking of breaking it or scraping it     now ive got my motor back.   i do keep an eye on coolant and oil    all in order,    it also sealed up front coolant pipe on NSF that you cant see feeding to rear heater,   Smile  i would Definitely use this again cause i really need to get to work and dont have the time or the money for a rebuild....... hope this can help even one paj owner if hes gonna break it or scrap his pride and joy.... ,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: