2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Oil leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fj1200

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:22    Post subject: Oil leak Reply with quote

Morning.  

We've recently bought a 2003 Shogun Equippe.  Generally happy with it, however we have  oil leaking onto our newly laid drive.  Now I'm new to 4x4 - hey, we all have to start somewhere - so not really sure what it is I'm looking at under there, tried attaching photos but lo joy.  I wasn't sure whether it was oily water - we had some torrential rain the other week so I cleaned it all off to see if it recurred, and it has.  Its oil.  Driver's side, underneath the passenger seat (underside of the car, seat not leaking  Very Happy ).  Was dripping this morning as I watched it.  Looks like its been at it some time - the whole area is covered in oil.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

fj1200

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn.  Hit post instead of preview!  So anyway - can anyone give me any advice?  I have a warranty for the vehicle, so can get whatever it is fixed.  Still can't upload attachments despite them being a bit under the requested size.  And...

Sorry, you have reached your maximum Upload Quota Limit of 1 Bytes?  1 byte.... ?   Shocked
fj1200

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck the photos on my website instead.  You can see them and our car/trailer combo at zenfolio.page.link/w3oV - I didn't buy it to match the trailer - honest!  (Sorry - seems I'm not allowed to post formatted URLs yet)
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Firstly, you won't be able to embed images in your posts until you've upped your post count a bit.  Once you've done that, you'll find that you can embed images directly. You need to use an image hosting site such as Imgur and then embed links to your images in your posts. It's not difficult once you've got it set up.

Now to your problem.  Even with photos it's practically impossible to diagnose the source of leaks without actually seeing it.  One think you can do is to get underneath the vehicle and clean the suspect area very carefully with degreaser.  Then apply some talcum powder and this will show you where the leak is tracking from.  But beware in that oil leaks that drip from the bottom of the vehicle can originate at the top.  It's sometimes quite time-consuming to find the source.  Getting the vehicle professionally steam might be easier than cleaning it up yourself.

If your vehicle is under warranty, the easiest solution for you is to take it back to the vendor and ask them to sort it out.  If they try and fob you off with a statement that all 4x4s leak a bit of oil from time to time don't accept it. It's not a Land Rover!  Wink   My Mitsubishi is 23 years old and doesn't leak any oil at all.
fj1200

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Simon, thanks for that.  TBH I don't really know what I'm looking at under there - new to Miti's and 4x4, and can't find anything online to show and explain the underside layout of the car just so I can understand it better.  I'll try to get a better look - got some degreaser so I'll do that.   I'm not phased by any of it and I understand it all - I just want to know what's what and where.  Is a Haynes the best manual for these cars or are manufacturer's workshop or better manuals available.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

The layout underneath is pretty straightforward.  Imagine a normal rear wheel drive vehicle. The prop shaft comes straight out of the gearbox to the rear differential. In most 4x4s (including yours) there's also what's known as a transfer box.  This is coupled to the gearbox and allows both front and rear prop shafts to be fitted.

This might help you understand your Shogun's 4WD system in more detail.  
https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/mitsubishis-super-select-4x4-system-explained/

It's definitely worth experimenting and getting to know your vehicle's capabilities.  A day on a 'pay and play' offroad site is a good way of doing this. Good fun too!
fj1200

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - theres a couple of 4x4 places locally that allow you to take your own vehicle and do an off-road training course.  I intend to do that fairly soon so I know how the car works and how to use it properly.  And - like you said - it looks like a lot of fun!
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your oil levels as this will give an indicator if your engine or transmission fluid is getting lower, if not it eliminates them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: