Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

slow cranking

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caseyj

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 18:40    Post subject: slow cranking Reply with quote

i have a 2.8 4m40 Pajero 1995.

don't use truck all that much, maybe 3-4 days a month, when I use  it for the first time there are no problems starting, its almost instant even on the cold mornings, what it does do is once started  and driven to the shops etc, and all warmed up, go to sart it after leaving shops etc, and it is slow cranking almost like its not going to start.
has two nearly new batterys. very well  serviced, new glow plugs etc. was thinking maybe air in the fuel draining back etc but the mornings after being parked all night when you would expect it to drain back, its starts no problem,
was thing maybe a slow starter motor ?
any ideas or anyone had this problem before?

many thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 18:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Andy1966

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
I had that problem with a paj I thought it was the batteries I charged them up but no change had them drop tested one was knackerd so replaced them but I still had the slow turning over and one day it wouldn't even turn over I had the starter motor tested it was knackerd I replaced it and it sorted out the problem
caseyj

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

had the starter rebuilt 3 years back and has had very little use but possible it could be starter still, will replace that and see what happens,
annoying as remote start wont work while it is slow cranking as cranks to slow it wont send to signal wire to say its cranking  Sad
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

same thing here,slow to turn over when warm,then decided to give up completely at service station,breakdown called and couldn't get it to go,many hours later,waiting for low loader to pick it up and drop it off at garage who i had arranged to change starter while waiting to be recovered and all good after.my mate had same thing happen to his,found a receipt out later from previous owner,it was a receipt for a lucas starter motor that had been fitted only 14 months previously Shocked iv managed to source a second hand genuine mitsy starter that im going to get re coned as a spare as after market dont seem to last very long.wished i had changed it at first signs,would have saved a load of hassle.
Andy1966

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe worth checking all the wiring connections to both batteries too before you change the starter
also check the single wire with the spade connector that goes onto the starter selonoid you should have 12 volts to that when the key is turned to the start position
caseyj

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery leads are tight as checked already , will check the spare connector tomorrow as did t know about that lead. Was slow cranking few years back and garage stuck a relay on with lead connected in to the spare to starter solenoid.  ( only found this out today when at the garage. ) it solved the problem back then but not sure how or what the extra relay does. Would like to fix correctly if something needs replacing .
SteveW-DID

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had aftermarket starters that have lasted less than a year, there is some proper rubbish about
caseyj

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine wasn't an aftermarket, I had original mitsi one fully rebuilt ,
caseyj

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

have located an after market relay which looks like its been added in to maybe help boost original starter motor relay as it goes down to the small wire on the starter motor, I did have issue about 6 years back with slow starting and took it to the garage and remember them saying something about a relay, this could be the problem and maybe the original one has completely given up,? where could a get a new starter motor relay? if in fact it is the problem. Crying or Very sad
Andy1966

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its an after market relay I would think any good motor factors would be able to get you a relay
when you say its a relay do you mean its a small square type with 4 spade connector fittings on it
caseyj

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's a 4 space aftermarket, I would like to replace the original one, but can't seem to find one ,
Andy1966

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

try looking on ebay see if you can find one on there
or any good car spares shop should be able to order you the part or failing that try a Mitsubishi dealers for a genuine part
caseyj

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

relays now tested and working as they should, power applied to starter several times and tested and cranks at normal power, cant think what else it can be unless one of my battery is duff, one is only  6 mths old other is about 2 years, both have tested as ok but seems to me it cant be any thing else,  Question  Question
assassin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the earth connections as they corrode, particularly where they connect to the body, and if they are the braided type the braiding parts and individual strands break which reduces its ability to form a decent circuit.

Simple test: connect a jump lead from the negative battery terminal to a decent connection on the engine block.
caseyj

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have only had a quick glance at the earths, will investigate more to check them and try the jump lead test, . Would they only be affected once engine is warm like mine is doing? First start I  the mornings is normal, only happens once warm. Been driving it most of week to get it sorted, ( normally does less than 1000 a year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: