2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

1996 3.0 v6 24v cambelt snapped

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jm1489

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:14    Post subject: 1996 3.0 v6 24v cambelt snapped Reply with quote

First time in 30 years I have had a cambelt snap!
I was moving my old shogun, started her and she idled for a few seconds then stopped? Finally took the courage to remove cam cover, Uh Oh, the cambelt has snapped!
Is it worth trying a new belt or am I looking at scrapping the old girl. Don't have the money for a new engine just after Christmas. Its a pain as she was low mileage and the belt/waterpump were on the to do list before she went back on the road. I have cranked her over while testing other things like ecu, coil blocks. There were no noises when she failed or whilst being cranked... could she be saved or is a full rebuild in order or a new engine, anyone got any thoughts on the subject or similar experiences?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

JPB

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that, when I was first looking at full sized Pajeros prior to buying my 3/4 scale version, I checked which engines have "safe" (a.k.a. non-interference) heads and from all of the Mitsubishi petrol engines, there's only the one (one of the V6s) that fits the bill, I'll have a look at the list of safe engines that I referred to at the time, but someone will probably come along before I get home and tell you for sure.
It's encouraging that spinning it over didn't make any nasty knocking sounds, but this alone isn't an absolute guarantee that you've been lucky. Here's hoping that your vehicle has the safe option.

..Just looked at Gates' list of non-interference engines - which I would download and attach but it has 77 pages - there would appear to be many Mitsubishi V6s that can in fact survive a belt breakage. Finger crossing now relaxed slightly.. Cool
jm1489

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I know that the 12v 3.0 is non interference but I don't think 24v is? Hoping its a changeover year which used coil pack on 12v as it isn't badged as a 24v like others? As I have never had a belt go on me before I would have expected some mechanical noise rather than a faster spinning of the starter motor, thought it didn't sound right. I will probably strip off the inlet etc.. and borrow a probe/camera to check for damage on the piston head. I imagine that the plugs will be OK if the head is domed and so not a useful indicator of damage?
jasst

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

The belt has just gone on my wife's 3.0 v6 challenger, where can I find a list of the engines that are not interference?
JPB

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.raauto.com/pages/timing%20belt%20replacement%20guide.pdf
PULL

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 20:21    Post subject: ECU Reply with quote

Hi, I am new on this forum . Main reason  joined ,I am looking for advice regarding getting my ECU looked at . Its like a mine field out there don't no where to go .
Would you Know someone.
Thanks
Pull
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:16    Post subject: Re: ECU Reply with quote

PULL wrote:
Hi, I am new on this forum . Main reason  joined ,I am looking for advice regarding getting my ECU looked at . Its like a mine field out there don't no where to go .
Would you Know someone.
Thanks
Pull

Try HERE
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used the above ecu doc and awesome, send off, maybe day or 2, then returned fixed! Very good service. So a +1 to Petes recommendation  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: