Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Programming key fobs for the Cobra 8165 alarm - 2001 Shogun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> ICE / Radio / Sat-Nav / Alarms / Key Fobs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Freathy

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:43    Post subject: Programming key fobs for the Cobra 8165 alarm - 2001 Shogun Reply with quote

Hi all - it was like pulling teeth but I finally did it and I wanted to share some information that might help anyone as confused as I was initially.

The instructions I got with my replacement fob were as clear as mud and when I asked for better clarity I was met with a response that I think was designed to make me feel like an idiot. Nice one supplier (who will not be named but does trade on Ebay)

I had an alarm keyfob with the car when I bought it - and it worked fine. The very first thing I do with any vehicle is get an extra key cut, extra alarm fobs, extra immobiliser fobs - and this is where it all started to get interesting.

Here are the instructions I got and then I'll tell you which bits made no sense and how I managed to "fix" the issues.

8 Series
8165-8185-8186-8188 (Remote: 7777)
1. Turn the ignition ON and OFF 3 times within 7 seconds, the system LED will illuminate
2. When the LED extinguishes switch the ignition ON
3. The LED will flash. Count the number of flashes to correspond with the first digit of the PIN code
4. Switch the ignition OFF then back ON and count the flashes for the second digit of the PIN code
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all four digits of the PIN code have been entered (finishing with the ignition ON)
6. If a touch key is programmed to the system touch it onto the receptacle now and the LED will illuminate. If the touch keys have been programmed out the LED will illuminate after step 4
7. Press and hold both buttons of the remote until the LED between the buttons stops flashing (approx 10 seconds)
8. Press button A to add to the system (the LED on the dash will extinguish for 1 second to confirm)
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 for all remotes you want stored on the system (maximum of four)
10. Switch the ignition off to exit auto-learning

So first and foremostly - where is the system LED mentioned in 1. I searched high and low in the car and was eventually told that it is near the ignition barrel. And there it was all along - so if you have had trouble locating that - look by the ignition barrel. If you don't have a system LED or can't see one then the rest of the instructions are about as much use as a pair of knickers on a fish.

Follow step 1 and then pause a moment. The moment you turn the ignition on again you are starting the process of programming the fob.

Ignore any baloney you read about being able to walk up to a vehicle with a new fob, press both buttons and the fob will work. Why would it? It would mean I could synchronise my fob with someone else's car and get into it. It doesn't work like that.

The alarm control box needs to know that you are authorised to make changes to the system and so from 2 onwards you are identifying your self as the person with the PIN number.

And so - if your PIN number was 1-2-3-4 this is what happens

You are going to turn the ignition on. The system LED will blink. In this case allow it to blink just once and then turn the ignition off again. One blink equals the number one - the first digit of your PIN. Turning the ignition off stops the blinking and registers the first number of your PIN.

Then turn the ignition on again and count two blinks and turn off. That registers the second digit - two blinks being the number 2.

On and count three and off - to register the number three. Repeat for 4.

The system is now in a state where you can register fobs. If you have a new one and an old one do them both. I did just my new one and the old one stopped working. Did them both in one programming session and they both work. You can have up to 4 fobs on one alarm system.

Turn the ignition on again and touch the immobiliser key on the touch port - on my vehicle that's immediately in front of my left knee (RHD vehicle)

The system LED will light and you can now gather your fobs and press both fob buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds and then the larger of the 2 buttons for about a second to register the fob(s)

Switch the ignition off and then test them.

What on earth is meant by " If the touch keys have been programmed out the LED will illuminate after step 4" I have no idea - maybe that touch fobs aren't installed. Anyway - that list of google de gook instructions was supposed to be clear - I beg to differ.

And so you will see that you need these things to get the fob to register:

A Cobra alarm
A Fob or Fobs
An immobiliser Fob
Your Alarm PIN.

If you do not have these then there is another way around the issue. I spoke to the car alarm technical people and if you can arm your alarm and still start the car then it does not have an immobiliser circuit installed. That means you can take out the alarm box and send that away with the fobs to have the whole lot paired up again and sent back ready to install. If you want me to do that - or programme your fobs for you, let me know.

It was like pulling teeth to find the right people to talk to and I might be able to save you from a high blood pressure incident  Very Happy Wink

Happy driving folks

Steve
07795 950639
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

radiomike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had done a little research before condemning your supplier you would have found that the instructions he gave you were direct from Cobra and have been used for the last 20 years or so.

Pressing both buttons, waiting for the led to stop flashing and pressing the large button is used to resync the system after changing the fob battery.

FYI the code is a PIN not a PIN number, you don't have to repeat yourself.

Last edited by radiomike on Fri Jul 01, 2016 17:00; edited 1 time in total
skool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you don't have a PIN you don't have to send the whole lot away to get sorted , just ring cobra up with the seriel no of your alarm unit
Steve Freathy

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez - what a bunch of *beep* - good bye
skool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Freathy wrote:
Jeez - what a bunch of *beep* - good bye

Sorry mate no one was putting you down ,, it's actually nice to get new people taking the time to be helpful - we were just adding to the info to also be helpful
sickbuoy100

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 18:35    Post subject: Restarting this thread Reply with quote

I have the serial and pin but no Immobilizer widget or fobs. If I buy a fob can I register it using the on-off sequence?
Simonfathead

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to with the PIN but not sure if you need the touch key some say you do some say you don't
huami

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have no fob nor touch key, just the key which I use to lock/unlock all doors from the driver door. My cobra box is removed from the car (long history...). Anyway I am looking for just a way to lock/unlock the doors with a fob, I don't care about alarm/security etc.
It is possible to use the universal remote control system from ebay? I should be able to install it myself, I just repaired the main harness so know where the cables are. My car is Shogun 2006 MKIII 3.2 auto.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> ICE / Radio / Sat-Nav / Alarms / Key Fobs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: