QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

towing and getting towed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil22

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 16:05    Post subject: towing and getting towed Reply with quote

I have a 3.2D short WB warrior, a 2010 model - recently acquired and the previous owner took the towbar off to put on his new one I think.

I don't intend towing trailers or anything but I feel exposed to the risk of not being able to pull anyone else out of trouble and not be able to be pulled out backwards myself.

I asked the Mitsubishi dealer and found that the original 'bar assembly traction hook' would cost over £600 - I can't find any second hand but perhaps anyone reading this might know of an unwanted one in the back of a garage somewhere?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a towbar that might suit me - I don't need anything electrical, just a couple of towing eyes.  I don't see anything obviously suitable on any of the usual outlets' websites.

Thanks in advance for any info or advice.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 16:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Kehhlyr

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on here: pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/tow-bars-for-mitsubishi/mitsubishi-l200-towbars.html

give them a buzz if you're not sure, an hour or two with some decent tools lying underneath thecar and you should be good to go. Smile
Phil22

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehhlyr wrote:
Have a look on here: pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/tow-bars-for-mitsubishi/mitsubishi-l200-towbars.html

give them a buzz if you're not sure, an hour or two with some decent tools lying underneath thecar and you should be good to go. Smile

So.. I've fitted a towbar - more straightforward than I thought it would be, some brute force needed to get it all tight... next question is, what's the best way to attach a recovery strap (I don't mean anything fancy like a stretchy kinetic one) to the towbar? I have a choice of a standard 50mm ball and a jaw and pin, neither of which seem ideal but perhaps I can use the pin to go through the loop on a strap. Is that a safe thing to do, bearing in mind that the towbar, the neck and jaw and pin are all bolted tightly together with big, new fasteners?

Thanks for any advice, again.
Mike Bishop

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 13:15    Post subject: Re: towing and getting towed Reply with quote

Phil22 wrote:
I have a 3.2D short WB warrior, a 2010 model - recently acquired and the previous owner took the towbar off to put on his new one I think.

I don't intend towing trailers or anything but I feel exposed to the risk of not being able to pull anyone else out of trouble and not be able to be pulled out backwards myself.

I asked the Mitsubishi dealer and found that the original 'bar assembly traction hook' would cost over £600 - I can't find any second hand but perhaps anyone reading this might know of an unwanted one in the back of a garage somewhere?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a towbar that might suit me - I don't need anything electrical, just a couple of towing eyes.  I don't see anything obviously suitable on any of the usual outlets' websites.

Amazing question.
Phil22

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 14:09    Post subject: Re: towing and getting towed Reply with quote

Mike Bishop wrote:
Phil22 wrote:

Amazing question.

Astonishing reply.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ball, put the loop of the strap over it and down to the tapered narrower section and it should remain there for 95% of all strap pulling.
twoofakind

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 20:15    Post subject: NEVER use a tow ball Reply with quote

Please never ever use a tow ball as a recovery point. If you must use a lock pin through the hitch is far safer. Or get a slip in 2inch recovery for the towbar.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 14:13    Post subject: Re: towing and getting towed Reply with quote

Phil22 wrote:

Astonishing reply.

Don't be concerned. Mike Bishop is a spammer and a nuisance. I've reported his posts to Admin (I think more than once) but they can't be *rsed to  do anything about it.  One of the reasons that I won't contribute financially to this forum.
twoofakind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 17:05    Post subject: Ah I was a bit concerned. Reply with quote

For any owners who may wish to know the front loops on a Shogung are rated at 3.16 tonnes EACH. If you have them on the rear mainly mk3 Shoguns they are tie down points only and Mitsubishi only supply them for transit tie down. Always fit a rated recovery point to your vehicles and check on the rattings before use. SAFE OFF ROADING.
NJV6

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info twoofakind - where did you find that rating please.... be good to see it verified.
twoofakind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:55    Post subject: NEVER use a tow ball Reply with quote

THE rating comes from MITSUBISHI test on Shogun. I will try and find the link. the test was done showing the full test on film with any body defects looked for and none were found. the tow points were safe to a higher level but for some reason the testers agreed to the 3.16 tonne rate.
twoofakind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:20    Post subject: Shogun, pajero mk3 recovery points Reply with quote

This is a short video showing the end of the testing and rate given I will try and find the full original video.  youtube.com/watch?v=wPXixsvjDjY   This excerpt clearly gives a rating of 3.16 TONNES for the front points. If i find the whole test again I will add it, gives more footage and shows technicians checking space around doors and other marked points during testing. I think a must see for owners of shoguns or pajero gen3. ALL TESTING DONE BY MITSUBISHI AUSTRALIA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: