eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Diagnostics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShogunItHurts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 20:29    Post subject: Diagnostics Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm new here but I can't see much discussion on diagnostics. What is possible without spending much money? I have a laptop and I'm not afraid to use it! I have a bunch of OBD cables for other cars but they all have dedicated software for diagnostics, I don't have anything general purpose. Can anyone give me an idea of what I can do with the Shogun?

I have a '02 LWB Mk3 GDI (Petrol) if it makes any difference. I've only had a month or so but it's going to be around for a while, it's just awesome.

Recommendations for general purpose OBD software would be great, or id there is anything Mitsi specific please let me know!

cheers
Mark
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 20:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its because very few readers will read the diagnostics system as they are MUTT and need the dedicated MUTT software installed, and this is expensive and uneconomical for most DIY owners to justify.
peacebank

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

An 02 petrol should be obd compliant, so any generic Bluetooth reader and a copy of Torque on your phone should do the job.

If you want to spend a bit more money then the OBDLink MX adapters are great and come with PC based software as well as for your phone.
ShogunItHurts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, it's probably a good sign most people don't have a need for it in terms of reliability!

peacebank wrote:
An 02 petrol should be obd compliant

Good spot. It became EU law didn't it? However, I would be surprised if Mitsubishi created OBD compliance just for the petrol version of the Mk3... it will be interesting to find out when they because compliant.

I'll try a cheap option first and see if it works. I had picked up on the Mitsubishi system being different but it's difficult to know which packages will be able to give me anything useful. I don't want to pay a regular subscription as this is just to give the car a check-over and then have ready in case it ever goes wrong.

I'll report back what I find.
cheers
Mark
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes keep us posted,been looking for something as well in case any faults come along in the future,it would be interesting to know if any other members have been able to find something that can read codes on mk3,at an affordable price.
peacebank

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2006 GDI and my obd readers (including a cheapy eBay one) worked fine, I can't image a 2002 being much different.

I think it was the diesels that didn't have to be compliant until a bit later in (2006??) so they tend to be a bit more difficult. My 2009 3.2 is fine with the obd readers though.
assassin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good spot. It became EU law didn't it? However, I would be surprised if Mitsubishi created OBD compliance just for the petrol version of the Mk3... it will be interesting to find out when they because compliant.

No it didn't, it only became law on new vehicles and not existing models and this is where the disparity lies as the Shogun model ran effectively from 2000 to 2018 without significant changes and under EU law definitions it was one and the same model and not a requirement, so I will give my experiences.

I have not found a generic code reader which works with them correctly and when you are using £4000+ code readers you are using quality, some code readers will read some things and these are minimal; while other code readers will read other things and give an incorrect fault.
peacebank

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know what code readers you have been using, but I can guarantee my cheap bluetooth one works on my petrol Mk3 and the diesel Mk4.

I also had two Shogun Sports, a 1999 V6 that was OBD compliant and a 2003 2.5 diesel that was not.
hutchy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don,t need fancy code readers on mk3 shogun pajero just earth out pin no.1 on the diagnostic socket turn on the ignition only and count the flashes given off by the engine light then google the no. simple...
wales660

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an EML light on then ground the correct pin on the diagnostic port and count the long and short flashes which will tell you whats wrong.
ClappedOut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a 2005 Shogun does not need to have OBD-II because the first version was made ages ago ?

No wonder I couldnt find the son of a preacherman socket to plug into.

Having struggled to find used spares for a Pertrol V6, all the breakerlink manifolds are cracked for V6 Petrols or £350 a pop, I imported a new part at £LOL (+vat)

In five years time I doubt many Shoguns or Pajeros will be left on the road.

Maybe I should play cambelt roulette and simply weigh it in when it poo itself, only done 100,000 miles though as it an occasional use vehicle so it seems a shame to bin it but poor parts availability and dead forums are a bad omen.
ClappedOut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am amused by the censor machine "Son of a preacherman"

AMEN to that Brother, AMEN!
Nikonov94

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead forums aren't necessarily a bad omen for anything, it's forums as a platform in general that are declining.
Still, yes, there's an effort to keep older cars off the roads so that people don't get a choice and have to buy the latest models regularly, that's unfortunately a thing, and that's an extension of programmed obsolescence that now applies to old things that still work...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: