Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

1999 shogun handbrake adjustment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lacedr

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 19:37    Post subject: 1999 shogun handbrake adjustment Reply with quote

Anyone know how to do this ? i have too much travel on the handbrake.
Dave
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 19:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Eriba

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear Brake

If its the same as the 2.8 Paj this may help. (The above diagram may help)

Set the rear axle on stands then release hand brake, check the adjuster mid way along under the car just behind the handbrake lever, make sure its at right angles to the cable, and just in case anyone has moved the adjuster nut turn the nut out so all pressure is off the cables.

Go to the rear and look at the back of the splash plate, if it’s the same you should see a black rubber bung No52955, remove this best you can without damage to reuse, the a torch and flat screwdriver you can then turn the brake adjuster inside the slot No52301.

Two or three clicks on each side, tune the wheels each time to check for free turning until you hear the rear shoes start to rub on both sides, then back them off one click to you hear on rubbing.

Now check clicks on handbrake, I just replaced my parking brake shoes, don’t ask me why they never wear out, the lining was the same thickness as the new shoes. I set mine to 4 clicks for the MOT.

May take a few attempts to get both sides equal, and set to how ever many click you like, re-check cable for any pressure, rubber bungs back in job should be done. Take off jack and test for hold.

Hope this info helps, if it’s wrong for your model someone will soon post. Don't think I missed anything

Phillip.
lacedr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phillip, thanks for the reply no its not the same i have discs on the back but i have just out to do it.
thanks for the reply though.
cheers
Dave
Eriba

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you dont have the  rear disc and drum bake for the parking brake, I take it on the model you have is just the rear disc.

Suspension and Steering
Front axle Independent double wishbone, torsion bar springs, stabiliser bar, telescopic shock absorbers
Rear axle 1 piece axle, rigid 3 link coil springs, stabiliser bar, telescopic shock absorbers
Brakes Power assisted, tandem vacuum booster and load sensing proportioning valve
Anti-lock Braking System with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (ABS + EBD)
Front 10.9" 12.4" 10.9" 12.4" 12.4"
Ventilated discs with 2-pot calipers Ventilated discs with 2-pot calipers
Rear 12.4" Solid discs with internal drum handbrake
Steering Recirculating ball and nut, power assisted
Min. turning circle m (ft) 11.8 (38.7) 11.8 (38.7) 11.8 (38.7) 11.8 (38.7) 11.8 (38.7)
Tyres P235/75R15 245/70R16 255/55R18 255/55R18 245/70R16
Wheels 15x6.0JJ steel 16x7.0JJ alloy 18x8.5JJ alloy 18x8.5JJ alloy 16x7.0JJ alloy

I was going by this from the 1999 shogun sport info.

With so many  Variations in the Shogun / Pajero year by year it’s hard to keep up with them all. My sons Peugeot 307 is the same, he’s adjustment is under the rear ashtray I believe; don’t like that system much personally.

Same with the old series III land rover, one single brake drum on the back of the gear box locking the prop shaft to the rear axle, they sure do like to confuse us when designing these systems.  

Sorry I coudn't be of much help to you.

Phillip.
hommes

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have disks on the rear for normal braking but the hand brake is a drum type brake inside the disk main body as stated above.
bravehrt17

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eriba wrote:
Rear Brake

If its the same as the 2.8 Paj this may help. (The above diagram may help)

Set the rear axle on stands then release hand brake, check the adjuster mid way along under the car just behind the handbrake lever, make sure its at right angles to the cable, and just in case anyone has moved the adjuster nut turn the nut out so all pressure is off the cables.

Phillip.

Hi there. Long time for me to write something..... Old topic..but will do  Wink  

Well....
My hand brake is coming up too easy (too light)...

Under the car, the middle cable adjuster nut cannot go tighter...
I did the wheel adjusters..i think they are OK..
Why the directions above says " turn the nut out so all pressure is off the cables".
If i do this, handbrake will be much more light right?
Probably i cannot tight more because of the wire has been streched due to age?

thanks in advance!!
Craig-SM

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need the handbrake off whilst you adjust the shoes at the drum. Adjust the shoes until they grip the disc which you feel when spin the hub. Then back it off slightly until they no longer grip enough to prevent you spinning the hub.
bravehrt17

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig-SM wrote:
You just need the handbrake off whilst you adjust the shoes at the drum. Adjust the shoes until they grip the disc which you feel when spin the hub. Then back it off slightly until they no longer grip enough to prevent you spinning the hub.

Hi. I understand that..handbrake is off, but have no room to tight little more the wire from the middle adjuster under the car. Seems that handbrake comes up very easy...
Craig-SM

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the cable has stretched if you adjust the shoes so close enough to the drum without gripping then you will have less travel at the handbrake lever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: