eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2.5 taking longer and longer to start !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taraswolf

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 18:17    Post subject: 2.5 taking longer and longer to start ! Reply with quote

Hi peeps, as above this started about a month ago we noticed it was taking a few seconds to catch and start, this motor for the 15 years we have had it has always started 1st touch of the key hot/cold -10 always been a good starter, well over the last month its gone from a few extra seconds to 4-5 seconds cranking the motor before it starts, hot engine leave it for 1/2 hr or more even tho the motor is still hot/warm it still taks 3/4 secs of cranking. it just seems to be getting worse by the week.
What i have done is change the fuel filter- no difference.
changed the rubber pipe from the injector pump to the filter and also the rubber pipe from the fuel tank to the steel pipe about a foot ish as both these looked perished but no signs of weepage or leaks-again no difference.
i fitted a clear see thru fuel filter to by-pass the main fuel filter-again no differece  Rolling Eyes
only other thing i am going to check if i can get at it is the injector fuel pump fuel cut off solernoid but after that im stumped  Crying or Very sad
anyone had same/similar and found a fix ?
Thanks in advance...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 18:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Andy1966

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
taking a long time to start the glow plugs could be a good starting point I had this with a 2.8 paj it was really hard to start changed the plugs and it sorted the problem
Showight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above glow plugs - but also battery, if it is not spinning up fast enough it will take longer to start. With it's high compression a diesel takes a fair amount of oomph to spin over (sorry for the technical terminology!)
Stick a volt meter on the battery when you start it. Should not drop below about 9.8V.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking a while to start after a half hour stand from hot i cant see being heater plugs?

The rubber pipes are generally life long and rarely need changing, its the metal fuel pipes that cause trouble as they corrode and allow air into the system although this usually shows its self with running issues.....  

Have you noticed any fuel leaks, or wet marks, under the front after its been stood for a while?

And on a side note its always a good idea to remove and discard the smaller, inner, rubber seal on the top of the filter as this can cause the filter to not seal correctly and allow air into the system..... good to know for future reference  Very Happy

and if you want to replace the metal pipes replace them with 8MM fuel hose from top of the tank to the fuel filter securing it with cable ties along the way, 5 meters for a LWB and 4 meters for a shorty  Very Happy
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wont be the fuel cut off valve as this is either open or closed.

In my experience I'd be removing the glow plugs and testing them individually. Years back, one dead plug caused mine to be a non starter, new plug and instant starting. Inspect the glow plug rail for poor connections whilst you're at it.
Taraswolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the pointers,iv checked the plugs and they are not in the best of nick so iv ordered a set and till they turn up iv reconnected the manual push button which helps no end as i can give it a good 3/4 secs where the ecu was giving it 2/3secs.
It still turns over slowly iv checked its charging which it is i have put the batteries on charge and it says they are charged but still turns over slowly, and now the other half has just foned car wont start at the supermarket batteries flat  Rolling Eyes so RAC guy hopefully will do a drop test on the batteries if they are iffy which it sounds like they are i will put a pair of new 1s on
Taraswolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAC guy checked the car out alternator fine batteries fine he says its the starter and i need to check wiring, is there any common issues with the starter/wiring ? im going to disconnect everything clean the lugs up ect see what happens if its the same time for a new starter.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new battery may solve the slow starting issue too, as the plugs need around 80 amps whilst the cranking engine needs a couple of hundred at the same time. Not easy on a near duff battery.

Your plugs will I think be "quick start" so don't overdo the glow time, 2-3 seconds will be sufficient with your new battery, longer than that can damage the plugs.
Taraswolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

batteries are 100ah 10 months old rac guy says they are 100% fine and yes its the 6v plugs 3/4secs warms them ok  Wink
just looked in the haynes manual it says the starter solernoid is fed from a starter relay ! trying to find that atm ! any ideas ?
Showight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my post in technical for the starter strip down video - took me about 10 mins, might be brushes or just general age gunk starters are expensive!
http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=169724&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Also first place I would look is the battery connections and the starter main +ve lug, also any earth strap if there is one on these.
If the starter relay was not working you would have nothing or a buzzing from the solenoid rather than the gradual deterioration in starter performance you have had.
elgassi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:25    Post subject: Re: 2.5 taking longer and longer to start ! Reply with quote

Taraswolf wrote:
Hi peeps, as above this started about a month ago we noticed it was taking a few seconds to catch and start, this motor for the 15 years we have had it has always started 1st touch of the key hot/cold -10 always been a good starter, well over the last month its gone from a few extra seconds to 4-5 seconds cranking the motor before it starts, hot engine leave it for 1/2 hr or more even tho the motor is still hot/warm it still taks 3/4 secs of cranking. it just seems to be getting worse by the week.
changed the rubber pipe from the injector pump to the filter and also the rubber pipe from the fuel tank to the steel pipe about a foot ish as both these looked perished but no signs of weepage or leaks-again no difference.
i fitted a clear see thru fuel filter to by-pass the main fuel filter-again no differece  Rolling Eyes
only other thing i am going to check if i can get at it is the injector fuel pump fuel cut off solernoid but after that im stumped  Crying or Very sad
Thanks in advance...

Did you find the problem with starting ?
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 20:11    Post subject: Re: 2.5 taking longer and longer to start ! Reply with quote

elgassi wrote:
Taraswolf wrote:
Thanks in advance...

Did you find the problem with starting ?

Seem's like your going to have to guess !!!!    Rolling Eyes
elgassi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar problems, turned out to be corroded fuel lines in and around the chassis / tank area
fitted a temporary feed pipe from a jerry can of diesel to to filter feed, primed filter and the car ran like a sweetie
connected back to the tank feed and the car spluttered and stopped, followed the lines and found the hairline cracks / corroding where the rubber hose ties the chassis fuel line onto the tank outlets, horrible area to get at
I plan on fitting flexible fuel line from the tank outlets to an area where the fuel lines are solid and where I can get access to do the join
Taraswolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorted mine now it was the starter motor as soon as new 1 was fitted it spins over like a turbine starts before the key even gets a full turn to start position as in instant start so thanks for all the input  Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: