2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Two issues with Transfer case?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i4dat

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 14:54    Post subject: Two issues with Transfer case? Reply with quote

Hi Guys, hope all is well.  This is my first post in the forum and since I have a pretty complex question, I hope to tap into the wealth of knowledge here in the forum.

We bought our 2005 Pajero used a few years ago, and we noticed an issue that started when in 2wd.  

When you were doing normal city driving, you would get a buzzing/whiring noise when under throttle, but would stop if you lifted your foot off of the accelerator.

It kinda sounded like the transfer case was not fully engaging 2wd (this is a guess on my part).

This noise would only happen in 2wd, if you shifted to 4wd, the noise would not occur. We also noticed around this time the speedo would not register speed correctly. It would move normally until 40kph then it would stick at that point even though you were accelerating.  Then it would jump from that point up to what ever speed you got up to.  The reverse would happen on decel, it would stick and stutter until you dropped below 40 and then move normally.  This may me related or may not be, I'm not sure but wanted to throw that out there.

So since 2wd would not work properly, we have been using 4wd, of course this is a problem because you are not supposed to use 4wd on pavement in dry conditions and we have been forced to do so.  I fear I have created an even bigger problem.

We now get a rhythmic vibration (feels like you the buzz you would get if you rolled over a rumble strip) that again is throttle related (happens under any accel input and stops if you lift off of the pedal) that is not consistent (does not do it at the same time, every time, but once it starts happening, will happen regularly).  Now if you switch to 2wd, this condition still happens only the vibration is now at a higher frequency.  

Something of note, to make it even more difficult to understand what is going on, if you switch it out of automatic mode and change to selecting the gears yourself, and shift to 3rd gear, it does not make this noise at all.  It seems to only do it when it has shifted to 4th gear (or it is still doing it in 3rd just it is not noticeable).

I'm guessing my Transfer case is *beep*, but if anyone can offer any input before I try to hunt down a replacement, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys, I'm hoping someone will have encountered this and can shed some light.

Cheers!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 14:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you with your problem, but I can put your mind at rest about 4WD usage on the road.  On your 2005 Pajero it's perfectly OK to use 4WD all the time as it has a centre differential.  Some of the earlier models didn't, and on those it's inadvisable to use 4WD on hard surfaces.

I hope you get your issue sorted without huge expense.
i4dat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
I can't help you with your problem, but I can put your mind at rest about 4WD usage on the road.  On your 2005 Pajero it's perfectly OK to use 4WD all the time as it has a centre differential.  Some of the earlier models didn't, and on those it's inadvisable to use 4WD on hard surfaces.

Thanks Simon, that at least is a relief.
i4dat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:

Damn, turns out its an 04, not an 05, I had my friend check the VIN at the dealer and he says the parts info says produced in 2004052.  So with that new tidbit in mind, does the 04 still have a Center Diff or does this bring the 'don't operate in 4WD on pavement' issue to the fore?
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Pajeros from Mk2 onwards have a centre differential, as far as I know.  This transmission is what's known as Super Select.  

Your transfer box lever will have the markings

2H=High Range 2 Wheel Drive
4H=High Range 4 Wheel Drive
4Hlc=High Range 4WD With Locked Center Differential
4Llc=Low Range 4WD With Locked Centre Diffrential

The presence of the two 'lc' positions confirms it's got a centre diff lock and therefore can be driven on the road in the 2H or 4H position.
i4dat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
All Pajeros from Mk2 onwards have a centre differential, as far as I know.  This transmission is what's known as Super Select.  

Your transfer box lever will have the markings

2H=High Range 2 Wheel Drive
4H=High Range 4 Wheel Drive
4Hlc=High Range 4WD With Locked Center Differential
4Llc=Low Range 4WD With Locked Centre Diffrential

The presence of the two 'lc' positions confirms it's got a centre diff lock and therefore can be driven on the road in the 2H or 4H position.

Ok, cool... I have the Super Select system judging by the above.  Again, thanks.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the oil level in the transfer case ?

Check the prop shaft for stiff UJs and grease these if nipples are fitted.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a simple fix, if you do not exercise the system it becomes sticky and if you keep switching from 2 to 4 WD it may free it up.

Simon W is correct, you have super select and you can use either 2Wd or 4Wd without issues, but never lock the centre differential on road or you will have serious and expensive issues from transmission wind up.

Check your transfer oil, or simply change it as they hold little oil and it is cheap to change it and know you have the correct oil and quantity.
i4dat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

assassin wrote:
I would suggest a simple fix, if you do not exercise the system it becomes sticky and if you keep switching from 2 to 4 WD it may free it up.

Simon W is correct, you have super select and you can use either 2Wd or 4Wd without issues, but never lock the centre differential on road or you will have serious and expensive issues from transmission wind up.

Check your transfer oil, or simply change it as they hold little oil and it is cheap to change it and know you have the correct oil and quantity.

Ok, I will have the transfer oil level checked.  It's easy as you say and may correct my issue.  Any one know what the correct fluid is for the transfer case?

As far as shifting it between 2wd and 4wd, it will switch gears, and you can use it in 2wd, only after about 5-10 minutes you will get a hellish grinding noise like it is slipping out of 2wd mode slightly (this is a guess, I don't know what it is actually doing).

First thing first is to check and change the fluid, and then go from there.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

T/C takes 80W90 manual gearbox oil, 2.2 litre.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

4H is engaged at the front axle and both propshafts turn all the time, you look to look under the front axle at the side of the differential where you will see the actuater and a vacuum pipe, and its wiring switch. Remove one end of the rubber boot and move it back and get someone to engage 2H and then 4H and watch the actuator rod and check it moves correctly.

If not then the most common faults are:

Dirt, pitted, corroded actuator rod which loses some of its travel and fails to either fully engage or disengage; simply clean and lightly sand back to clean metal and coat with a very light coating of silicone grease.

Vacuum pipes rotted or pin holed: remove and replace.

Vacuum solenoid not operating correctly (common fault) and it is not getting sufficient vacuum to fully engage 4H, replace solenoid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: