2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Help required

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrankieG

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 16:44    Post subject: Help required Reply with quote

I was travelling down the road and my back wheels locked up and i have checked various areas on the car but would like help from club please. Car will not move but rocks back and forwards when selecting automatic gears.

1. check all brakes at rear calipers / handbrake drum all OK.
2. propshafts OK.

Haven't got tools to remove halfshafts or Diff to check, any advice would grateful and where i could get replacements if it is that area. Some advice on what tools i require to remove halfshafts because it looks like a special tool.

The car is a 1997 3.0 V6 LWB shogun.

regards
Frankie G
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 16:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it locked then it would suggest a transmission fault and this could be one of several issues:

Gearbox is low on ATF and partially damaged and siezed up.

Gear selector the the auto transmission is disconnected in someway and the vehicle went onto park (P).

I would jack the whole rear up and unbolt the propshaft at the rear axle and suspend it try turning one rear wheel and if it is a standard diff the opposite wheel to the one you are turning will turn in the opposite direction; if it is a limited slip diff both wheels will turn in the same direction of rotation.
In either case, if you can turn the rear wheels it discounts the rear axle as it is working correctly.

Our next issue is what selection was the vehicle driving in?

Was it 2H or 4H and was the centre or rear diff lock engaged?

This has a diff lock and this locks the half shafts together and if you drive on a solid high grip surface such as a road then the most likely scenario is a trashed half shaft as they rotate at different speeds as you go round corners and this function is allowed by a differential, lock it and something has to give.

If the centre diff is locked then it sends equal power to both axles, yours may have torque vectoring and if it has then engaging the centre diff lock counters this by solidly locking both propshafts together and this would suggest a smashed transfer case internals, and this is serious and expensive.
mrsnuggles

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

unbolt the driveshaft.

will it roll now? if yes. then it is the transmission or transfer box

if it still wont roll and you are sure it is not the brakes. then it would be the diff having cooked its last goose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: