QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Transfer box replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edza20

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 20:54    Post subject: Transfer box replacement Reply with quote

Does anybody know if it is possible to remove the transfer box without taking out the whole gearbox? And if so, how?!?
Cheers!
Ed
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 20:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

casid10

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, real easy to do and will take about 1.5hrs. If it is a short wheel base super select auto box, transfer box is held on to gear box by five bolts. Proceed by removing speedo cable, then two prop shafts, then transfer box support mounting, remove stabiliser bracket from left hand side, drain transfer box oil, let transfer box and gear box down on jack. Disconnect gear lever internally. Remove electric switch connections from transfer box and then pull off from rear of gear box. Refit in reverse order. Have fun!! I'm looking for a transfer box myself. Any ideas on where to look? All the best, casid10
edza20

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Just the answer I needed! Only difference is mine is a manual super select. Does this make any difference?! So will the gear box tilt down with the transfer box? I don't have to touch the bell housing? I may well have a spare transfer box by the end of the weekend, I've got a spare at the moment as I think mine is knackered but not sure yet. If my problem is not solved after the swap then you can have it!
casid10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes no difference that you have a manual box. Once you loosen off the rear transfer mounting cross member, the box will drop and you don't have to touch the bell housing. Good luck and please do let me know if you will have a spare box. cheers
edza20

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I split the transfer box from the spare gear box yesterday! I dont know if I will be able to split it whilst it's on the truck, had an absolute mare separating the two yesterday and that was out in the open with the gear box stood on the bell housing! Had a bit of trouble sorting out the gear linkage too, is there an easier way round it? I had to use a drift to knock out a pin from the selector shaft in order to take the selector out and split the box..... Or have I gone about it@rse to face?
Cheers!
casid10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, yes its tough but persevere, you've managed to split the box. It's a two handed job and an awkward shape. Pajeros are never easy! Cheers
clay*pigeon
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions how to actually spilt the transfer box, got all the nuts, bolts out, but it looks to be stuck solid. It's not mine but a 2.8 SWB auto M/N  reg.
Thanks John
peatey1200

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi how do you remove the selector shaft from the trasfer box on a manual cheers in advance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: