Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

How do I change the fuel filter ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyd99
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 15:16    Post subject: How do I change the fuel filter ? Reply with quote

Could someone briefly explain to me what kind of a job it is to change the fuel filter, and also roughly, where abouts is it located on the vehicle? 2.5 TD SWB PAJ.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 15:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

MAT.A.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing its going to be as simple as for the 2.5LWB 92/93 truck (MKII)
For me it was intercooler off and moved to one side (make a note of what wires you disconnect,  mine were keyed and colour so easy not to make a mistake on re-assembly

I also removed the 2nd Battery (closes to windscreen)  this give loads of room

Next remove the fuel lines (make a note of what goes where),  block them to save loosing any fuel !!

undo the wire from the fuel heater unit (if fitted) on the top of the pump,  then undo the 2 bolts that hold the filter to the bulkhead.

life the filter upwards and disconnect the wires to the water sensor (make sure not to turn the filter upside down!!! as its got about 3/4 ltr of fuel in it!!!!

Move the filter away from the car and remove the fuel, some people keep it and re-use,  for me I disposed of it as it was in a dirty filter!

in the comfort of a warm workshop!! (or roadside if you like)   carefully remove the drainplug at the bottom of the filter,  then placing the filter into something like a workbench undo the float unit at the bottom of the filter,  be careful as its nylon/plastic!!

put the float unit to one side.

flip filter over and undo the upper heater/inlet this was very tight and a filter wrench was useful.

Dispose of the old filter unit

before re-assembly have a close look at the float unit, and clean if needed,  mine has never been changed as the filter was dated 1992 and original mitz part!!   The float unit was covered in a brown thick organic substance which took a little parafin to clean up. the float was then able to move along the plastic rod easly. (this could explain why my water detector was not connected!!)

Also on this float unit is a black O ring. carefully remove this!

Next with your new shiney filter (Milners sell them)  wet the two new O Rings with fresh clean diesel,  fit the smaller O ring to the float and re-assemble, make sure this is tight but be careful not to over tighten this as it will strip easly!!!!

next -remove the O Ring from the upper heater/input side if its come off from the filter when you split them (Mine stayed on the filter.)
bed the new O Ring and make sure that its fitted cleanley and is not obstructed with old bits of rubber.

I then refilled the filter body of the filter with Injector Cleaner and topped it up with new clean diesel.  then re-fitted the top making sure not to spill any of the filter contents.

The final part is re-fit,  bascally  -   fit the water sensor,  bot the filter back onto the bulkhead,  re-attach the fuel lines (making sure they are the right way around!!!)

On the left side of the pump is a white screw knob (about the size of a new 10p in diameter),  undo this, and on the top of the filter housing facing towards you is a square screw/bolt.  This bolt needs to be removed,  this is the bleed valve.
Slowly pull the white screw unit outwards (its about an inch it comes out) then push back in slowly
you should see fuel start to appear at the bleed hole,  keep pumping slowley until only fluid is apparing (No bubbles).  
then put the bleed screw back in and tighten finger tight.  back the screw off by 1 turn and pump a couple more times to ensure only fluid is still coming out.   Finally pull out the white screw out slowly then tighten the bleed screw fully.  push the white screw back in and tighten up.

Thats as much air as you can get out of the system removed (Maybe a few air bubbles left in the fuel line between the filter and Engine! - but dont worry too much)

Take a look around to make sure all wires and bolts are in,  no fuel leaks from the fuel lines, Battery back in if you removed it, and finally re connect  the intercooler and refit.

Final look around

then go try to start it,   the injector cleaner will help start up and mine started within a couple of seconds  coughed twice and then has been fine since.

Total time (and I am not a mechanic,  just followed other instructions found using SEARCH on the forum)  took me about an Hour.    I think next time I do this it will only take about 30 mins or so as I now know what I am doing (sort of!!)

Oh and a final thing,  I bought a  clear fuel filter that I have fitted on the TANK side of the filter so I could keep an eye on the state of the fuel I am using (its SVO 80%) and I read that running this can drag much from the tank, so I wanted a early warning!!

The filter was less than a tenner and its a satisfying feeling knowing you have saved money by DIY.

Good luck

Mat
MAT.A.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot the first part of the Question,,   I am guessing its in the same place for both cars,     its on the Right side up by the windscreen,  its about 7" Long and has 2 pipes attached to it  (line in from tank and feed to engine),  may have an electrical connection to the top (heater?) and a connection to the bottom (water detector)

For the LWB 1993 2.5  its under the intercooler.

Mat
andyd99
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 17:00    Post subject: Fuel Filter Reply with quote

WOW Mega reply, many thanks for taking the time out to write that. I shall do that on saturday following them.  Laughing
bobblake

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information did my filter & glow plugs to day with your help.
bob
vibe666

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, (as a non-mechanically minded person) I was a little unsure about changing my filter for the first time so I took it into my local tyre/exhaust place and aske dthem if it was okay for me to help while they did it and they were fine about it.  I'm now happy enough that I'll be able to do it on my own next time, so that's good. Smile

mind you, having helped out I'm pretty certain I'd have found my way if I'd tackled it myself, but it's good to have that little bit of extra confidence of having a much better idea of how it's going to go the first time you do it on your own.
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kenny kustom

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did mine yesterday ( 2.5L ) . Removed the intercooler, un plugged the bottom float, unscrewed the filter and removed it. No need to take the whole housing off.....
Gaz W

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done mine today with the help of the thread Very Happy
isam

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to POK uk members. I Replaced the fuel filter today following the instructions in this thread.
Biker Joe

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to do this to my Paj, but it's a 02 model, is the engine the layout similar or is there a different procedure to doing it?
geodrome

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biker Joe wrote:
I want to do this to my Paj, but it's a 02 model, is the engine the layout similar or is there a different procedure to doing it?

Filter is basically the same. Just remember to unplug the wires that come from the bottom of the filter first, they're plugged in to a connector next to the bracket on the bulk head. If you don't they twist and can break.
Mike Bishop

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 13:08    Post subject: Re: How do I change the fuel filter ? Reply with quote

I think you should go to the car expert in my view.
Simonfathead

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

| think he may of done it by now as the thread 6 years old!
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simonfathead wrote:
| think he may of done it by now as the thread 6 years old!

Mike Bishop from New Zealand has made some very odd posts.  Looks like spam1 to me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: