QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Reverse lights always on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zachcredaro

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:38    Post subject: Reverse lights always on. Reply with quote

Giday all, new here and new to owning an NK pajero. Getting it ready for pit check. Have a problem with reverse lights coming on when vehicle is turned on, and they stay on regardless of gear position or lights on / off. Any ideas about what may be the cause? Cheers.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Missing Lincs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello zachcredaro

I'd start by looking at the reversing light switch.

Is your Paj auto or manual?
zachcredaro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

My paj is a manual, 2.8lt TD. I don't have an owners manual, any chance you could tell me which switch is the reverse lights switch?
zachcredaro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing so here is me thinking a switch on the dash, but a bit of scraping round google, I realised the switch i asume your speeking of, is on the gear box. (Well I hope that was what I just took off) in any case, with that unplugged the reverse lights are still on...
Missing Lincs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think the reversing light switch is on the gearbox for manuals.

Mine is an auto so I'm not up on where exactly the switch is on a manual gearbox.

Hopefully some one will be along soon with an answer. If you've pulled the plug on the switch I'd expect the lights to go out. I wonder if what you've disconnected is a sensor, not the switch.

Did google give any pictures or drawing to go from?
zachcredaro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I found a 1:40 vid on you tube through Google, a dude with reverse lights not working wanted to see if it was his switch point, the paj he had was the same modle as mine, with the manual, mine was in same place, and looks the same with the depressing metal contact pin( I never thought there would be a switch down there😂). He washed his out with WD40, put it back in, and his lights worked. But I did notice, his metal contact pin traveled much further than mine, which makes me think my switch is stuffed anyway, I will buy a new one and see how that goes, but I don't feel it will resolve my issue. Unfortunately I think it will be a task for the mechanics to figure out, it will be added to the list I give them of the things that are above my pay grade. But thanks for your help mate, I've learnt something new, and that there is yet another delicate thing I can break on a vehicle 😂😅🤣
zachcredaro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'll keep you's posted as to what the problem ends up being, ( I think someone got creative in the past and dodged up some wireing) time will tell.
Missing Lincs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

Another place you can look for wiring problems is the trailer electric socket if you have one. Not all trailer wiring has connections for reversing lights, even if yours doesn't, wiring one up is an opportunity for bad connections, short circuits and other electrical blunders.
zachcredaro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... a little update on the reverse light issue. The first sensor I pulled of the gearbox, that didn't solve the problem (and I don't actually know what it does) I lost the little ball bearing out of, though went to the bike shop, and found a bike bearing the right size for it, and put it back together. I followed the wire harnesses, found another sensor, unpluged it, still not turning lights off, but it did stop my speed dial, so I know where that is now. And I felt like it had beat me, I followed every path the wire harnes took me. But then I noticed and odd shaped bolt, uppon closer look, it was another sensor/switch that had the wires broken off it, practically flush with said switch. Thats when I realised the two wires I found dangling round a couple months back, that I promptly  joined together assuming theyed been broken apart from each other, were supposed to go to the switch. I undid the first of the two, and low and behold, the reverse lights went off, awsome. Unfortunately in all my in and out from under the vehicle to check lights and turn ignition on and off, I accidentally forgot to switch off at one point and shorted a wire on the chassis, and I now have no power coming though those two leads at all. Where would the relay/fuse/ fusible link be, for the gearbox harness. ( I got sexy fingers, everything I touch turns to funked 🤣)
zachcredaro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... a little update on the reverse light issue. The first sensor I pulled of the gearbox, that didn't solve the problem (and I don't actually know what it does) I lost the little ball bearing out of, though went to the bike shop, and found a bike bearing the right size for it, and put it back together. I followed the wire harnesses, found another sensor, unpluged it, still not turning lights off, but it did stop my speed dial, so I know where that is now. And I felt like it had beat me, I followed every path the wire harnes took me. But then I noticed and odd shaped bolt, uppon closer look, it was another sensor/switch that had the wires broken off it, practically flush with said switch. Thats when I realised the two wires I found dangling round a couple months back, that I promptly  joined together assuming theyed been broken apart from each other, were supposed to go to the switch. I undid the first of the two, and low and behold, the reverse lights went off, awsome. Unfortunately in all my in and out from under the vehicle to check lights and turn ignition on and off, I accidentally forgot to switch off at one point and shorted a wire on the chassis, and I now have no power coming though those two leads at all. Where would the relay/fuse/ fusible link be, for the gearbox harness. ( I got sexy fingers, everything I touch turns to funked 🤣)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: