eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Borescopes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:15    Post subject: Borescopes Reply with quote

It had to happen as my old borescope gave up the ghost and my new one arrived today, so why is this topical?

Because they are now cheap to buy and they serve so many functions on all cars as well as lots of other equipment and my new one is far ahead of my old one in terms of size, ease of use, and picture quality and many now take video and photos of anything you find, especially if they are used for others vehicles or basic things on your own vehicle such as checking items not normally visible and mine hadn't been with me for an hour when a mate called and said he lost drive on his MK 4 and couldn't understand why, a quick scoping showed a ATF pin hole which was spraying out tiny quantities of ATF in his front steel pipes due to corrosion. I topped him up and got him to my house and I made him replacement piopes from copper and he found the brackets and unbolted them using the borescope to guide the spanner and used it again to fit the new pipes and connect the rubber pipes to them.

Borescopes come in two main types and they are those with the built in screen onto which you plug the actual scope end for instant real time pictures; and WI FI versions where you get the scope with a WIFI transmitter on the other end and you download software onto a mobile device and it sends signals to your phone or laptop, I have issues with WIFI because there is always a delay between the scope end and the picture, and I have an expensive phone and laptop and don't want them under vehicles where they get covered in crud and fluids; but its individual choice which suits you

Scopes are the coil of covered wire with the camera end built into them and they come in short lengths or fairly standard lengths which are generally 2M, 3M, 5M, and 10M but other lengths are available, and you need a waterproof IP67 rated unit or higher as these can be used underwater uo to depths of around 1M normally, but watch the immersion times and depths as not all are waterproof, many are either 8mm diameter heads or smaller 5.5mm heads and mine is the smaller 5.5mm head, but again its your choice as to which best suits your needs and access holes to various parts of your vehicle. Many come with rechargeable batteries built in and others require dry batteries.
Scopes come in two types and these are generally called soft or semi rigid types and soft ones are generally used for pipes and hollow sections as they flop about, semi rigid can be formed to a shape and they hold their shape for long lengths and are better for vehicle use, particularly rust examinations inside longer sections such as chassis or sills.
Smaller scopes come with 6 LED chips and larger scopes come with 8 LED chips and you need the facility to turn your LED's off to save the battery or alter the brightness in darker areas such as vehicle chassis or sills and the more confined areas with no light.

Focal lengths vary massively and most need to be around 30mm away from the object you are looking at to correctly focus ansd some scopes can focus from 30mm to 5000mm so selecting a focal range is essential if you can't get your scope close to the object you are looking at, but many make the mistake of selecting too long a focal length which is not needed and sacrifice a shorter focal length which is more appropriate for their use.

Many scopes require an SD card and while many are micro cards some are not and checking this requirement is crucial, as is capacity as most take up to 64Gb cards and it pays to put the largest card in your unit takes as you can remove it and put it into another device and download the images or video so they can be stored for future comparison against newer images, or you need to download video onto a larger screen such as a computer monitor for larger and better viewing; or you need the capability to E-mail them to others.

Suddenly I got a call and grandson had a drain blockage and asked if my new scope had come and after finding out it had come it was down there to scope his sink drain and find the blockage which it found in minutes and he quickly disassembled the correct section and unblocked it, then; Grandad, can you scope my cars alarm module as I have broken a key and I need the code off the alarm module to get a new one cut and coded and it found the code in 10 seconds instead of a 30 minute strip down and get a mirror and torch, then another 30 minute assembly.

What can you use them for on vehicles? actually anything and I use mine to check the front brake pads which are shielded on Shoguns, inspecting inside various chassis and body sections for damage or rust, and simple things such as looking inside engine cylinders through spark plug or glow plug holes and even finding things dropped onto the underbody protection and recovering things using the magnet or hook attachment; basically they are invaluable and worthy of consideration by anyone doing their own vehicle work.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been considering getting one for a while now and like you say,so many potential uses ,tracking pipes and electrics under floor boards or stud walls,reading serial/part numbers from inaccessible parts,the list goes on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: