Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Blown head gasket, back pressure and flow plug removal help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Truki

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 20:24    Post subject: Blown head gasket, back pressure and flow plug removal help Reply with quote

Hi all
Y wife has been using my truck and the oil tan out, basically it's blown the head gasket and I have back pressure. I tried K-seal as a temp measure and it didn't work at all.

Now, what it doesn't say in the bottle is that it won't work as such in my case. Wasted money? Not exactly. So, what I found after long hours if searching was this very informative read on how to PROPERLY use K-Seal. Right, K-Seal or Steal Seal etc may work if you have NO BACK PRESSURE. Back pressure stops the water circulating so your top radiator pipe will be boiling what the bottom pipe is clack cold, so, the thermostat doesn't open, meaning the head gasket repair (snake oil) can't circulate and hey hi, you think it's *beep* and move on.

The odd does suggest removing the thermostat as a temporary measure but Jesus, they are a pain in the *beep* to remove, even worse to put back on....If you have ever taken the housing off, believe me, those two pipes going into the block will test you. Buy a pack of washers because you may nip one.

Anyway, as a way to stop back pressure is to shut off the offending cylinder and run it on 3...can it run on 2? So I need to unplug the injectors for the offending cylinder/s and take out the glow plug but as they run in tandem and are connected and powered by a zig zag rail, I just wanted to ask how I could do it if at all?

I am looking at having .t old head pressure checked and if possible skimmed but that's £100.

And yes, the head was done a month before I got it and ran fine until I cracked my diesel pump housing, hence the oil leak and the now blown head!

Just need some help and advice before I go on a hunt for another temp truck...

That being said, I have been offered one that ran out of diesel o. The motorway, was recovered home, had a new fuel.filtwr but won't run, just turns over..... wondering how I could get that going.

Any help is much appreciated and thanks for reading this essay of a post.

Craig
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 20:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that if the engine (whatever it might be) ran out of oil and overheated as a result, then the cylinder head gasket is probably the least of your problems.

As for running the engine with injectors removed (or disconnected from the fuel supply) I doubt that's an experiment that many folks have done.
Truki

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
I'd say that if the engine (whatever it might be) ran out of oil and overheated as a result, then the cylinder head gasket is probably the least of your problems.

As for running the engine with injectors removed (or disconnected from the fuel supply) I doubt that's an experiment that many folks have done.

Basically, it ran out close to home and popped 5 minutes away from our house..... temperature naturally spiked but will happily run for about 20 mins before temp gets to just under the red....I won't push it. No knocks or bangs and has power etc....all you would expect from.a healthy engine with the exception of the head gasket blowing.

I had the thermostat, water pump and radiator off and cleaned the lot...the heater is stuck in the cold position thanks to that stupid slider.

If I can shut off the offending cylinder/s that are pushing air into the cooling system then I may just have a chance! Shutting down the injectors is to stop unburnt fuel being sprayed into the shut off cylinder so it doesn't cause damage. Etc.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a head gasket has gone due to no oil pressure surely the engine must be completely destroyed  Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: