eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

1992 4d56 lwb exceed possibly overdrive woes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harleyb143

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 13:22    Post subject: 1992 4d56 lwb exceed possibly overdrive woes Reply with quote

Im absolutly clutching at straws here trying to figure out why on earth i cant get above 2nd gear, here is what ive been doing,

measured the switch on head and no change wether hot or cold so i thought that was the issue, tried shorting out temp switch on head, no overdrive relay clicking in passenger footwell if its supposed to even be there, so i think i found the wiring diagram and concluded i should be getting a voltage at said plug as it directly powers the od relay coil, and i get nothing, so now i go hunting for relay in the passenger footwell around the glowplug/egr ecu, and its not there?

whats more confusing is i get somebody to push the od switch in and out whilst im underneath and i can hear the gearbox clicking but not from the od solenoid as i can put my hand on it.

so where actually is the od relay, as ive had the dash apart for 2 days trying to find the thing lol.

hopefully somebody will be able to help
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 13:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

harleyb143

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right an update on todays findings,

after finally finding a diagram for the correct relay board under the steering wheel i had a look to try and find it, and to my astonishment the relay wasnt there, neither was any wiring to that relay socket (the top left one).

also i took the od switch out and made sure that was working which it was, was getting the voltage to switch between contacts.

been underneath and had a look at the od solenoid and that appears to be connected but im gonna have a go at dropping the prop to have a proper look etc.

can anybody shed any light on my problems please as im quickly loosing my patience with the old girl
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read here:  1990 2.5TD -Got O/D again -info for all Interested

I'm not sure the post is entirely clear (or conclusive) but it should give you a pointer for the location of the relay.  I assume it's the same for your vehicle.

However you wrote in your first post 'can't get above 2nd gear'.  Overdrive is effectively fourth gear, so I assume you can get the first three?
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - welcome to the club.

The best I can do is offer you the workshop manual if you haven't got one.

It is on my Google Drive HERE

It is a .zip file so once you have downloaded it then extract the files and run the "manual.exe" file.

Hope that helps a bit - good luck
harleyb143

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
thank you all for your replies, i read globalmarks issue a couple of days ago which led me to believe the relay was in the passenger footwell, and as far as i can see even with a mirror on a stick and very small hands there isnt a relay there unfortunatly.

ive had a quick scan over the manual too but didnt take it all in so ill go over that again, thank you for that though.

just got back in from the freezing cold after seeing another post somewhere about the relays in the engine bay fuse box and made a couple of discoveries,

firstly i disconnected the 2 single temp sensor wires from the head, and with the ignition on i shorted each one to earth, the one with the smaller plug on made a relay click inbetween the 2 glow plug relays, the other did nothing, that wire was on the temp switch im led to belive was the od temp switch,

so with my strap on that wire i disconnected it from earth and put it on my meter to trace it in one of the metal canned relays in the engine fuse box, i thought yippee ive found it, so i put my meter onto volts to measure any supply voltage to the relay and was getting nothing but i was on the contact side,

i then pulled the od fuse in drivers footwell and still had voltage, a few expletives came out then at a rather loud voice,

put a strap across the contact side and got the a/c clutch to click

with that fuse still pulled i thought i would try and get that other relay to click again and low and behold it did no matter what the od switch on the gear lever was too.

so ive basically concluded neither of the two sensors control the overdrive?

am i missing stupidly obvious here lol
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you certain that there actually is a relay for the overdrive solenoid? Given that solenoids work at low current, I can't see why there needs to be one.

Image below is taken from the V4AW2 gearbox troubleshooting section. No mention of any relays:

As per my earlier post are you certain that it won't shift out of 2nd gear? If so, then it's not an overdrive issue.
harleyb143

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

well im begining to think there isnt a relay, having looked over the diagrams last night,

but either way the control box wants a engine water coolant switch on a blue and white wire which i concluded last night wasnt either of the two on the head which has a green and orange wire and a green and white wire,

i took it out for a drive just now and took it up a big hill to get her nice and warm then got onto a flat road, went nice and gently on throttle i could feel 1-2 and faintly felt 2-3, confirmed this by dropping the gear lever to 2 and engine revs increased then back into d and dropped,

so im gonna have a look at od solenoid in a minute to see anything or measure anything.

thanks for the troubleshooting diagram though
harleyb143

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, todays findings,

Had a look at the kickdown cable as i noticed it was sticking and not returning, found that the outer has came off the threaded part so i pushed that back in and recrimped,

also found the swivel bracket had been bent upwards so i straightened that and adjusted to 35mm, and took it for a test drive and got kickdown.

i then took the prop off to get to the od solenoid which all looked good, took a fused supply down there and got the solenoid to click for the first time, so i rigged it up so the missus could bring the solenoid in and out as we went for a drive,

now this is the interesting bit, i could only get to 35mph as the road was short but when i had load on the engine ie not to the floor but cruising, i got her to connect the solenoid and no change was felt or heard in the revs at 2600, but when i let off the throttle and connected it the revs dropped and picked respectively,

so what on earth does that mean lol.
harleyb143

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to taking the paj out to 50mph,

ive got the od solenoid hooked up to a fused supply again and brought it into the passenger side so i could make and break it whilst going down the road,

i got her warmed up and got somebody to drive so i could hear and feel what was going on properly, i could hear 1st 2nd and 3rd go in and got to 50mph

i got the driver to back off throttle and i connected the od solenoid and absolutly nothing happened still, as we were slowing down though i disconnected the solenoid and could feel engine braking and the revs increased.

im beginning to think im not getting torque converter lockup occuring, so how does the converter get to lockup, i take it its done via fluid pressure and not electronically?

will have another look at manuals aswell.

does anybody have any ideas?

Harley
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that you have checked the ATF level and condition - it seems to be the source of a lot of gear shifting problems.

On my 2.8 there is a temperature sensor that inhibits O/D engagement until the engine temperature is high enough - I assume your ought to have one as well.
harleyb143

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

yep oil is at correct level and of a good colour too,

ive also been through the temp sensors on the head of which there is only 2, and they are the a/c temp sensors, but ive eliminated them anyway because im putting a direct supply to the od solenoid.

a little frustrated is an understatement right now lol.

Many thanks

Harley
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

harleyb143 wrote:

i got her warmed up and got somebody to drive so i could hear and feel what was going on properly, i could hear 1st 2nd and 3rd go in and got to 50mph
does anybody have any ideas?

Harley

Hang on! How can you have heard 1st going in? That's the gear you started in!

So you should hear

1st to 2nd
2nd to 3rd
3rd to 4th (overdrive)

So if you heard three changes, why do you think that 4th (overdrive) isn't working?

BTW there is a lock-up that engages after 4th, but it's fairly subtle and just drops the engine speed by about 200 rpm.
harleyb143

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

ahh my bad in describing sorry, i can hear it going 1-2-3 but no 4th, ie i only hear 2 changes, i know how it should feel roughly as i also have a 2.8 exceed,

i was under the impression lockup occurs then overdrive?

Many thanks
Harley
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

harleyb143 wrote:
Hi,

ahh my bad in describing sorry, i can hear it going 1-2-3 but no 4th, ie i only hear 2 changes, i know how it should feel roughly as i also have a 2.8 exceed,

i was under the impression lockup occurs then overdrive?

Many thanks
Harley

Just making sure it wasn't a red herring.

Overdrive (4th) then lockup is the order of things going up through the gearbox.
ZFX

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 21:12    Post subject: OVERDRIVE ISSUE Reply with quote

@ harleyb143

I Have the same car and having the exact same problem.

Have you sorted out yours?

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: