Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Random Jap coin found

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simontaylor

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 20:17    Post subject: Random Jap coin found Reply with quote

Whilst re-riveting the metal catches back on which hold the pieces of board like trim on the back of the back seats on my 1992 manual 2.5 lwb, i spotred what i thougt was a penny in the seat itself but when I got it out it's a Japanese coin, I'm guessing it somehow fell in but must have been there over 25 years at a guess, can anyone tell me if it has a date or what it is? I'm not very fluent in Honkers.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 20:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:54    Post subject: Re: Random Jap coin found Reply with quote

simontaylor wrote:
Whilst re-riveting the metal catches back on which hold the pieces of board like trim on the back of the back seats on my 1992 manual 2.5 lwb, i spotred what i thougt was a penny in the seat itself but when I got it out it's a Japanese coin, I'm guessing it somehow fell in but must have been there over 25 years at a guess, can anyone tell me if it has a date or what it is? I'm not very fluent in Honkers.

What a very odd first post.  Why would you post here about Japanese coins?  The obvious place would be a numismatics forum.

In the last few months I've spotted a number of posts on this forum from what would appear to be bots, but I can't work out the motive.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - very strange. Or maybe people in lockdown are getting bored and using Russian/English dictionaries to fill the time.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete
Maybe! But on the other hand this problem started well before the lockdown.  I just can't see the point of these posts other than as an intellectual exercise to see if the bot can pass a Turing test.  But would anybody really think to do that on a UK Mitsubishi forum? Why mention that it's a 1992 manual 2.5 lwb if the post was about a Japanese coin? Perhaps I'm paranoid and the post was genuinely from somebody of Indian extraction in Canada who was re-riveting panels on the back seat trim of their Paj!   Wink   And 'Honkers'?  It's not even slang for the Japanese language.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon - maybe something to do with Hong Kong.

I found some Japanese till receipts under my centre console  - I wouldn't have bothered finding out what they said - I just binned them.

We've had a lot of odd posts lately - I also haven't got a clue why!

Just an update of life without my truck. The Nissan Juke continues to need nothing doing to it - until last week when I noticed that the Continental tyres on the front were down to the wear indicators - after 2 years and 10,000 miles! I wonder if Nissan and Continental are running a scam? Soft tyre compound and split the profits of the cost of £140 per tyre. Or nearly £300 per tyre from the dealer!!!!
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not good mileage at all even on a FWD car front tyres. I'm sure you've had the alignment checked too.

When I stripped out the interior of my Challenger I found all sorts of Japense stuff too - sweets, coins, till receipts etc. I still have a Japanese car club sticker on the tailgate. I like the authenticity.

The 'posh' car (Volvo XC70) that I bought last year gets very little use, as it's the Challenger that's my everyday workhorse. Last weekend the boot was filled up with bricks for a run to the local tip, which is something I wouldn't have wanted to do with the Volvo. I couldn't do without my Challenger. It's 24th birthday is coming up soon - by far the oldest car I've ever owned. It's never let me down or had any kind of problem that wasn't easily fixed. It feels like it will keep going forever - or at least as long as diesel or vegetable oil can be burned.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked on the Juke forums - it seems like all the newer models are about the same. The Nismo , which I think is a more powerful 4wd variant is worse. I suppose the performance version gets thrashed a bit more but some people are getting 5000 miles out of the tyres.

I couldn't justify keeping two cars - we only do 5000 miles a year in this one so having 2 cars would mean each would only do 2500. At least the Juke goes three times further on a gallon of fuel than the truck and the road tax is next to nothing and servicing costs nothing as it's included in the lease.
TimReal
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 15:40    Post subject: Re: Random Jap coin found Reply with quote

simontaylor wrote:

My understanding is that it's a Japanese tradition to leave some money in a car that is being sold, as a kind of good luck thing. People have found all sorts over the years. All I found was a Mitsubishi pencil  Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: