eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Centre diff/Super Select issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBG20

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 19:05    Post subject: Centre diff/Super Select issue Reply with quote

The other day on the motorway my car stopped displaying the green wheels and the orange centre diff light started flashing, when I turned it off when I stopped and on again the 2 green wheels were on (it was in 2H) and everything seemed normal, I’ve had it in 4H and all 4 green wheels have illuminated and seem ok.
Today I tried putting it in 4HLC and the light flashed a bit but didn’t illuminate and it didn’t feel like the centre diff had locked, I then tried it in 4LLC and it went into low range with 4L displayed but the centre diff wasn’t locked and the light didn’t illuminate, does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?, I’m not often in need of locking the centre diff so can do without it if it’s going to be an expensive fix, as long as I’ve got 4H and 4L very occasionally I will be ok.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 19:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model are you referring to?

Most likely it's a sensor or actuator.  The actual diffs are bomb-proof.
RBG20

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it’s a mk3 3.2 DID LWB.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its sequencing will not let it go into 4L unless the centre diff is locked, this leaves a couple of issues.

It is locking its centre diff and the light is not illuminating which suggests a blown bulb or faulty switch, and possibly an intermittent wiring fault.

The actuator is an electric motor, this is not fully engaging but engages sufficiently to activate the switch to send the locked signal to the rest of the system which shows it as locked to the control unit to allow it to engage the rest of the functions.
alanymarce

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actuator, at a guess. Have you done any wading recently?
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

These do become sticky over time so I suggest you keep putting it into 4L to see if it naturally frees it off, in many cases it does.
RBG20

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I will try putting it in 4L a few more times.
I’ve not done any wading but this started after quite a long, wet motorway trip, I was on the motorway yesterday and went up to 70 and it didn’t do it, just stayed in 4H with no flashing lights, will try going into 4L a few more times today and see if it cures it.
If not is it a real pain to sort out?.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: