Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

I need help concerning fuel supply 4m41

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Khorvall

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 13:58    Post subject: I need help concerning fuel supply 4m41 Reply with quote

Hi, I just bought a pajero 3.2 did 4M41. 281 000km on the clock.  The car has had a tough life, not looking good. Nevertheless, I am experiencing some issues. Have googled a lot but I seem to find most info on another 3.2 engine than mine. Went to check on adjustments on diaphragm but I have no adjustment screw on mine.

When I drive it feels normal, but if I stop the car while in drive the engine dies. I changed the fuel filter in engine compartment and that helped, it does not stop when in drive anymore but it feels like it wants to. Shuttering and going up and down in revs. Now i am pondering about changing PCV valve, and cleaning out the diesel tank.

Problem is, I do not want to be spending money on it if the fuel pump turns out to be the culprit.
In my mind it does not seem like the pump, given the fact that the car runs great when cold.

Is there any way that I can test the fuel pump, before shelling out money on other repairs?

Obd is costly, as my generic obd2 reader does not work with this car.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 13:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

was there water in the fuel filter,and have you checked fuel filler pipe/breather pipes under wheel arch to see if they have rusted out.
Khorvall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, there was indeed some water in the filter. The filler neck is very rusted, and there was some rust in the filter as well
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

A typical failure on the 3.2 is a corroded fuel filer pipe (into the tank) that allows water and road grit into the fuel system that eventually kills the injector pump causing stalling at low engine speeds  Sad

The presence of rust in the system is a sign it may just be this and sadly a lot of people find scrapping the vehicle easier to bare than the cost of replacing the pump.... get it checked out first of course but it dont look good
Khorvall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I feel like crying when i see the price for pump replacement.
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,thats why i asked about fuel filter and filler pipe,common fault of fuel pump failure and reason for scrapping early gen 3 shoguns,prices of pumps are crazy,even second hand pumps.could try cleaning fuel lines tank and replace fuel filler pipe and breathers and hope for the best.
Khorvall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it always show obd 48 if the pump is a goner?
Really reluctant about throwing money at this car, filler pipe and PCV valve are almost 1000€

Oh man, never again will I buy a fixer upper without checking for inevitable crazy expenses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: