Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

All Terrain tyres for a Shogun SG3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Bargee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:05    Post subject: All Terrain tyres for a Shogun SG3 Reply with quote

I would appreciate any advice that is out there please on tyres for a 2014 Shogun SG3. I have been running on a mix of General Grabber AT3’s (front) and BFG Baja KO2’s at the rear (the reason is a long story). I have increasing tyre noise, a continuous howl at certain critical speeds, mainly 60 & 70, and this is particularly bad when heavily laden or towing. I have narrowed it down to the KO2’s, and I now see reviews suggesting that these can get noisy as they age. All tyres are 2/3rds. worn now. I’m pretty sure (as are two garages) that the noise is not transmission / bearing related.

The tyre noise is getting untenable. I have moved the KO2’s to the front, which has moved the noise to the front, which is in a sense slightly better, I guess because there is more local mass to absorb it. I am aware that the Shogun is a bit of a sound box. I hear my trailers much more than I used to with 5 previous Discoveries.

The question is should I ditch the KO2’s and fit a pair of Grabbers (to make 4) or can anybody suggest an alternative good all terrain tyre that works without excess noise on a Shogun. I do 80% long distance road mileage, 10% heavy road towing, 10% moderate off road (mud, tracks and grass, not extreme) but could not go back to the OEM tyres because they got stuck on wet grass and were dangerous on a wet road.

When I first changed from the useless OEM tyres (Goodyear’s?) I put on four General Grabber AT3’s, and I recall some concern about road noise then, but not to the present degree. I could ditch the lot and change to something else, but need to be sure that they would work discretely on a sound box!

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks!

P.s I did nearly a million miles in the five Discos on BFG’s but they were earlier variants. No significant noise at all and I was a big BFG fan, but I think something has changed with BFG’s.

P.p.s. The Shogun is fantastic, far better than the Disco’s, apart from the sound box bit!

P.p.p.s.  Also thinking about upgrading to one of the last Shoguns to keep me going for a few more years, but can’t do that if I cannot be sure that I can fit reasonably quiet AT’s.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Craig-SM

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the General Tyres AT3 and they're quiet on the road. The previous tyres were Cooper AT and they were noisy
alanymarce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we bought our current vehicle (Montero - same as a Shogun) we took off the OE tyres and replaced them with Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S, based on experience. We've used Dunlop Grandtrek and Pirelli Scorpion ATs in the past and they've been good on the highway, and OK "offroad". We had BF Goodrich T/As on our LC80 and they were excellent however a bit noisy on tarmac (this was in Africa and the proportion of tarmac was significantly less than at home (60/40 versus 80/20). When we last needed a new tyre (blown on a rough gravel road) the shop (only one around) had a BFG but suggested Toyo Open Country AT as being as good and a better price. This was on a long trip (45,000 Km) - something like 60% surfaced/25% unsurfaced/15% "offroad". When we replaced two more tyres later on in the trip we went for the Toyos. We've found them to be as quiet and capable on the highway as the Geolandars, and excellent "offroad". So, our preferred tyre is now the Toyo.
dennisrobinson53

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with MAXXIS  AT on mine.

I think quieter than Grabbers
froilad

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Nitto ridge grapplers. Got them from 4wheelonline. These tyres are better than the KO2's in terms of off-road traction. They are quiet and smooth in normal road conditions.
robfinger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if they're available in the UK (cause Goodyear's website is certainly NOT the most useful creation of man), but we've been running Goodyear Ultraterrain A/T on a Denali Yukon back in the US and it's been nothing short of impressive - ridiculous grip thru muddy fields and such, whisper quiet while flying down the smooth-paved interstate (think A1 type of road), and even the stupidly heavy LT-version of the tire rides very very smoothly.

This coming from a person who normally installs Grabber AT2s and AT3s (the ATX, however, can go away forever) on any and every vehicle that can fit them, minivans included, lol
The Bargee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to all those who have replied. I will be looking at all the suggestions for my upgrade Euro6 Shogun in due course.

For the present vehicle I bought one new Grabber, which, with the spare, gives me a set of four Grabbers on the road. The howling noise has gone and everything is sufficiently quiet, although could be better still so as said I will be looking at the options suggested.

It was proved by spending a few hours swapping wheels around that one of the two BFG’s was very much noisier than the other. The really noisy one had about half a mil less tread than the other one, both being +/- half worn.

The slightly less noisy BFG is now on the back door.

The conclusion from all this is that the BFG KO2’s do indeed get noisy after perhaps half worn, in my case with the Shogun intolerably so! There has been nothing in their usage to suggest that any untoward damage has occurred, so I am pretty sure it is in the tyres, the compound or whatever.

Despite good results in the past with numerous sets of earlier BFG’s over many many miles I reluctantly conclude that something has changed in the present KO2 manufacture and I will not be buying KO2’s again! AVOID!

Thanks again for all the advice.
Craig Robin

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyo Open Country A/T tires have decent reviews online. It runs well on wet and dry road conditions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: