Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Mods for keeping a MK1 TD cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarv32

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 21:58    Post subject: Mods for keeping a MK1 TD cool Reply with quote

From researching the forum I can see overheating is the death of most MK1 2.5TD

I'm looking to do anything I can to keep that from happening to mine. So far I have is changed the belts ,fluids and filters and fitted a new water pump and added a digital coolant temp gauge , I'm planning on fitting a new radiator (any suggestions where I can pick up a good new one). I'm also going to try playing around with the viscus fan clutch and maybe replacing it.

Any other suggestions that I can do. Snorkel? I'm not looking for more HP just keeping it cool and running well.

Thanks

Matt
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 21:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

NDZ

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only comment on 2.8 - viscous can be overfilled or welded shut for max cooling. I found a 41mm rad on ebay, right size but had to improvise ATF connectors as new rad had different threads. Decent flush and new thermostat perhaps but you should be able to spot any underlying problems in progress on the digital gauge its a handy addition.
jarv32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate , I forgot I have changed the stat and flushed it. Is there any downside to welding the viscus fan up.
NDZ

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I know of it seemed to be a common mod for racing etc. Again, I'm 2.8 but doing an overfill is quick and easy you just keep adding oil past the line and then it no longer functions as a clutch so will spin up fixed at the engine RPM. Are you towing or asking it to do any serious grunt where it might overheat?
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 2.8 I fitted a new Blueprint viscous coupling (don't buy a cheap eBay one from China or Eastern Europe ... I've tried both and they are no good).

I also replaced the water pump and thermostat and flushed the whole system before fitting them.

Final thing was to fit a dual core 40mm all aluminium radiator and an auxiliary temperature gauge.

The whole lot wasn't cheap but it kept my engine cool.
jarv32

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lads I'm going to over fill the viscus fan and see how that goes then look at getting a new rad or getting my old one re cored next month. I'm getting 87/88 degrees on the motorway cruising at 3000 revs (about 65/70mph) temp does up to 95 on very long steep hill , I tow an boat a good bit but not a heavy load.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

That temperature is OK.

Have a read of this:

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=986631&sid=392c4b4421e7eedc2cfe18fbc08337b8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: