Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Auto Trans not upshiffting correctly (intermitant)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boracaysteve

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:13    Post subject: Auto Trans not upshiffting correctly (intermitant) Reply with quote

Paj V26 2800 Auto  runs smooth but does not shift from 3rd into 4th gear unless lift foot on accelerator then will drop into gear and runs normal. This happens every time until it forgets to do it and up shifts normally (rare) the overdrive seems to work OK. Fuel consumption is totally *beep*.   I am wondering about shift solenoids?   As a thought this may have happened after a trans oil change but not totally sure. Anybody any thoughts Please
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve

If the ATF is nice and clean the usual culprits are either the kickdown cable or the TPS
have a look at this

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59488&highlight=tps+adjust

Looking out the window here, I am wishing I was visiting you for a tea this afternoon Very Happy
Boracaysteve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning emax, thanks for your reply.
Oh it would be great if was that simple,  I always expect the worst from cars (tits 'n' wheels) . The ATF was changed last year and doubt that it has 10K miles on it, so going to move past that.  If I am understanding the TPS means throttle position sensor  Question  its on the injection pump I think Question   This was also adjusted with the ATF change at tranny shop with an elec test meter.  I think that you probably have hit on it, as the real capability of these guys is a little questionable. and as I said in post, It may have started after the oil change.   I like idea of turning with a screwdriver left or right that should be easy.   Very Happy
If its the kick-down cable I will struggle with that as I'm finding rolling around under the Red Beast a bit harder now, Age and all that goes with it. If it needs replacing, do you happen to know if the Paj Fieldmaster cable may fit  Question  I find that apart from body stuff lots of parts are from the Pal Mk11 4M40 and I can get most no some of that. Do you have an adjustment How to link for this Question  I have the Haynes book of *beep*, but do not use it unless totally stuck, usually find when I am stuck it refers you to dealer.

If you came over here I think I could run you a cold beer or three, (Don't do afternoon tea as the old vicar never comes round) its hot and pretty sticky now. 30c+ I understand from a pal you had snow yesterday. I don't miss that  Laughing  Cool   Cool
Boracaysteve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi emax,
Sorry, this is typical of me, you gave the link for adjustment but I only read top post. If I had read all as I now have, I would not be asking you dumb questions.
I will try all this when the wife brings the Paj home, She's gone up the mountain to visit family,  so this may take a while. LOL
Cheers Mattie
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
Lucky for gentlemen of our vintage we do not have to climb under the intrepid Paj to do any of those adjustments, worst bit is taking off intercooler to make the adjustments. With both those adjustments they are in my experience a matter of trial and error.

What a pity about the  vicar, still beer is fine  Very Happy

Good luck with it
Boracaysteve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have tried and messed around.  Taken the slack out from the Kick-down cable, not much of a change, so have tried the TPS, Yes a little different but not what it should be.  Now I have the problem of fast idle when warm, so much that the tranny clunks when engaging.  no amount of looking and trying can I adjust down the idle speed, I m aware that its being caused by the cold start, but what I believe to be the adjustment screw for that is solid and will not move. Maybe wrong screw.
Now new mystery what is the rod that is in the linkage just above the Kick-down cable ? it has a vacuum solenoid attached to it.  It was not touching anything and got in the way of trying to adjust cold start so I have removed it, doesn't seem to be better or worse without it ???  I thought I was better  at this stuff, but this has me beat.  Embarassed Can anyone give me guidance as to what I have to do to to slow this beast down. Thanks.
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

The rod with the vacuum solenoid is the idle up for the air conditioning. In my experience the kickdown cable is usually better being loose rather than tight. Not sure about the cold start device, but I think there is a how to adjust it post on  here somewhere.
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=164802&highlight=cold+start+device
Boracaysteve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi emax,  
Thank you for the last post.  The enlightenment about the air con solenoid was a light bulb moment Idea  I readjusted the throttle cable stop screw and refitted the Air con control rod and fired her up. The revs shot high after the air con was turned on so three more adjusts and I licked how it was running.   Took her out for a test drive, WOW what a difference all gears now about how I remember them and plenty power. No shift problems.  I had forgotten this feeling, I am now in love again with this old Paj. Only remaining problem is when hot the idle speed is at 950, but think I may live with this, don't want to change things and screw this up.  Now its beer time. Razz   Well done that man emax. Wink  Very Happy
As a final note, I think the main culprit was the TPS with some slack in the Kick down cable.
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted. Such a pain when they are playing up  and so good when they are working properly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: