Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

my reg plates were cloned

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huami

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 21:14    Post subject: my reg plates were cloned Reply with quote

Hello,

In December last year I was thinking about selling my Shogun for different reasons and put my car on a popular car advert site. My mistake was to not hide the reg plates as I though it might be useful to someone. And it was!
I removed the ad after a week after 2 rude traders called me looking for a 'deal'. Recently I got a letter in my post with a notice of unpaid charge from Tyne Tunnels in Newcastle, place where I have never traveled to. I was able to download 2 pictures of the car. It was a dark (black or navy blue) 2001 or 2002 Shogun with my registration number on it.

If you are thinking about selling your Shogun, please do hide your reg plates when putting your ad online to prevent the crime.

Btw. I don't regret my decision to keep the car.

Kind regards.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 21:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy a lot of cars and if the reg isn't displayed i ask for it to enable further checks, HPI, taxed and insured, MOT history, etc etc.... if the seller don't give me the number when asked for it (so far they always have done) i wont buy the car so if your happy to give over this info your always going to run this risk of number plate cloning  Sad
huami

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, but giving the details on the phone is different then sharing it with everyone online. The criminal would need to call you to get the numbers and that is risky to himself and he/she may choose to skip you and look for another car.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, i was thinking more on the likes of Ebay Autotrader or even Gumtree where an email will suffice, if the only way to contact you is by phone you prolly are a bit more secure.
Grabber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I was always a little bit suspicious when a car seller does not show it's license plate ('what do you want to hide?'), but now I understand why.
I once experienced something while advertising a car that might have the same background: I was offering it just a few days on the internet with photo's, than they took the airbags out (living in a normally very safe and quiet area, if any cow crosses the road it will be a local news item)
Is it possible to proof it was'nt you who was driving around with the cloned plates?
huami

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, my car is 2006, the other is 2001 or 2002 with slightly different lights, no sunroof and I think different color, so hopefully that will be enough. I also reported that to the police and DVLA.

Thanks.
administrator
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest - if you are going to clone car plates, you can just stand on a road bridge and take car details all day long ... if you are more clever about it, walk up and down a street and take numbers of cars parked on drives - double bonus, car make / model / numberplate and address!  If you don't want to be local, get kids to ride around on bikes and do it anywhere in the UK.

It's a bit daft to suggest that your vehicle is any more at risk of being cloned just because it's listed online, or in a forum photo, showing the numberplate - of course, the risk is there - but the risk of your nan getting a spoof phonecall from some rip-off merchant with 'problems with your broadband' or 'loose tiles on your roof' is probably a lot higher  Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: