QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Hopefully Fixed P0190

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 19:23    Post subject: Hopefully Fixed P0190 Reply with quote

Fitted the inline fuel filter in the engine bay after getting a local agricultural workshop to mill the correct thread with their lathe since I couldn't keep the die perpendicular and messed up 2 attempts to do the M12 x 1.25 thread. Took a LOT of effort to break the seal on the fuel line joiner - brake pipe spanners couldn't do it so ended up with large mole grips on the 14mm captive nut on the tank-side of the joint. The fixed side on the flexible pipe uses a 19mm solid nut so you hold this still whilst unscrewing the 14mm. Added PTFE tape on the threads of the machined adapter and added the copper washer - no sign of leaks.

What I expected to be the most difficult job due to the location of the high pressure pump turned out to be the most straight forward. I started off by disconnecting two electrical connectors above the pump, removing the mounting bracket, and pushing the connectors out the way between engine and bulkhead. To access the two bolts that secure the fuel inlet pipe I had to disconnect the two flexible return pipes from the solid pipe on top of the engine. Each has a compression clip so moved those along the pipe with pliers and then manipulated the flexible pipe with pliers until petrol escaped and lubricated the join, then wiggled and pulled the tubes until they slipped off.  Captured a small amount of fuel spill. Tucked them up in the bulkhead.

Had to remove the horizontal oil breather pipe that runs across the back of the block above the inlet to get to the near-side bolt.

That gave access to the two bolts securing the inlet flange. The off-side is a 10mm hex nut but the near-side is a Torq T30 with round head. Both need long-reach (25cm) attachments but aren't particularly tight so easy to release. Inlet has to be pulled out quite forcefully. At this point I replaced the O-ring on it and tucked it out the way. Soaked the remaining fuel out of the recess then carefully inserted an 80mm long M5 wood screw into the top of the micro-filter and screwed it in about 3 turns. First attempt at pulling it out failed as screw pulled free. Re-inserted the screw and went in about 4-5 turns and used constant pulling force with pliers on the screw, wiggled it a bit, and eventually the filter came out in a rush, and, thankfully, was complete!

Certainly looked dirty as the photos show. Inserted the replacement 6mm x 14mm micro-filter until its ferule resisted then used a copper drift on top to tap it down flush.

Reassembled and tested. Took it for a longer run with conditions almost guaranteed to provoke the P0190 fault and it behaved perfectly. Prompt acceleration, no 'drag', kick-down and under load all seems fine. I'll give it a week before declaring it fixed though - especially as its fooled me before!

Photos of In-Tank Pump, Inline Filter and Microfilters
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 19:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: