eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

The Eagletail Wilderness and KOFA National Wildlife Refuge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Out and about
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Antioch
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 23:53    Post subject: The Eagletail Wilderness and KOFA National Wildlife Refuge Reply with quote

The Eagletail Wilderness and Kofa National Wildlife Refuge in Western Arizona.
KOFA stands for King of Arizona, and was named for a mine in the area. The refuge was also used during WWII by General Patton to train American ground troops for operations in North Africa.  I guess the climate and terrain is similar.  In the official information flyer, it warns visitors not to touch anything that resembles military hardware, and to report its position to the refuge office in Yuma... anyway..
I awoke on Monday morning needing to leave my Tempe flat.  My quandary the day before, however, had been deciding upon a destination.  It is beginning to get hot in Arizona’s Sonoran Desert, so a trip north to the higher elevations of the Mogollon Rim or the San Francisco Peaks would bring welcome relief, but I wanted to save an adventure like that for a day I could take my wife and step daughter, perhaps in two vehicles, with the Pajero and my friend Brian’s 4x4 Wrangler. When I awoke, I knew, I would return to the Eagletail Wilderness and KOFA National Wildlife Refuge to its west, and instead of trekking overland through the Yuma Proving Ground (sort of illegal, but a way I’ve gone a half dozen times), I would seek a northern entrance through the wilderness at KOFA’s Northeast boundary.  
After I dressed carelessly, I left around 5am with Katie Matilda my Australian Cattle Dog, jumped into the Pajero, and set off for Interstate 10, for a 65 mile drive to Harquahala Valley Road west of Tonopah, Arizona, stopping in Goodyear for breakfast at Jack in the Box.  I had a chorizo burrito and diet Coke, Katie had a Breakfast Jack.  
Harquahala Valley Road runs south, where we turned onto a dirt road.  The road, or trail, marked Arlington Clanton Well Road, was completely unmaintained, and at some point it forked to the south without me even noticing.  I kept checking the GPS coordinates, and topographical features, and established that I was on a trail just 2 miles south of the trail I needed to be on, and about to turn south, and further away from the Eagletail Wilderness, where I wanted to be. I turned north and navigated off road across desert pavement (large stretches of petina coated rocks), washes, foliage, and hills, until I got back onto the right track... and then began my way into Eagletail west towards KOFA National Wildlife Refuge.  Rather than take the southern route, which I'd done several times, through Engineer Pass and an old fireman's cabin, I decided to try and find a northern route into the refugure, but that was tricky, as some of the trails on my Delorme Atlas and Gazateer have been made off limits, and disguised to make them unseen.. Eventually, I did find a more direct gasline trail, which took me into the refuge.. a place of bighorn sheep, miner's cats, eagles, and a plethora of desert critters, plants, and trees. My entire trip across the wilderness and refuge clocked on about 140 miles through the desert, and I saw not one other human being the entire trip... it was just me and my dog Katie, in the wilds of the desert.

I have no idea what this insect is, but it was quite large and scary.. probably 2.5 to 3 inches long. It's blurry as the thing was quick and went and hid from me before I could set my camera to auto.

It hasn't rained in ages, being a desert of course, and I made a Tauareg Turban to protect my head and to keep some of the dust out of my lungs... Moroccan style.

One of my first base camps that I used to use to camp at before starting out into the wilderness.  It’s an abandoned well with a stock pen for cattle.

Inside driving thru Burro Canyon in Kofa.

Trianna after the trip, wearing the turban.. sorry this is all out of order.

Katie Matilda trying to round up some of the range cattle. She is so smart!

Oh, ya like the green stripe?

Scary cliff.

No problems, just adding some oil. Despite the hot temperatures, 43 celcius, the motor remained cool.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I've found this marker before.. it's on the off road section between the two trails out in Eagletail... It marks a boundry line between Maricopa and Yuma County.. this helped me confirm my position on the map.

I'd hate to be stuck out here without water...

This is the marker at the NE Section of Kofa where I entered on the gasline trail.

It was an amazing trip.. and the only damage to the Pajero was a broken window crank handle on the passenger side (the fourth), one of the cargo bars over the windows on the interior of the rear fell off, and I needed a new air filter.
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 23:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Antioch
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see this post? I was rather proud of this expedition!
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antioch wrote:
Did anyone see this post? I was rather proud of this expedition!

You've every right to be proud!  Smile   It looks a great trip.

I'd not seen this before now, so I'm glad that you've made it surface again. Very surprised that nobody commented when it was first posted. Better late than never, I guess.  Wink
Antioch
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Simon.

I was just going through my old posts. I was as surprised as you.  It's not greenlaning. It isn't a park. It's wilderness.. something rare in Britain.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love wilderness, but haven't done any desert driving for too many years unfortunately.  As you say, not much opportunity in Britain.  Laughing

Do you still have the Mk1?
Antioch
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.. I'd blown the head on it. When. My wife and I were having a rough patch and I walked out on her a couple of years ago, she had it towed to a scrap yard and crushed. Along with my GPS, a satellite radio, tools, my Hilift, and my dead dad's tools.

I've forgiven her. The irony is now she wants another Mk1. Problem is they're getting hard to find and the good ones are unreasonably expensive. Still.. I'll get one soon. The vehicle I bought to replace it is the same age. A 1988 Toyota 4Runner Sr5 . I wish the mk1 had been as well engineered.
. But it's painfully narrow and honestly, I don't trust it as much as I did the little Pajero.

Last edited by Antioch on Tue May 03, 2016 22:13; edited 1 time in total
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear that your Mk1 is no longer around.  Did you mean 'forgiven'??

Good luck in your quest for another Pajero.  I've never owned one, but am very happy with my 20-year-old Challenger (aka Montero Sport). It gives me a lot of fun and has made me some good friends.  Very Happy
Antioch
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Blo0dy auto correct... forgiven.

There are plenty of Challengers around, but I'm looking for a 1995 Mk2. If I see a good mk1 I'll get that, but I'm not optimistic.
Oah

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antioch, phoenix do rise from the ashes.  I've found your mk1 assembled as well
Oah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here
Oah

Here
Oah

Here
iantians

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 13:31    Post subject: Off-roading Reply with quote

I miss off-roading.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Out and about All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: