Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Importing a 2006 Pajero from Egypt to the UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> SVA / ESVA / Certificate of Conformity Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cairo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 13:01    Post subject: Importing a 2006 Pajero from Egypt to the UK Reply with quote

Morning all,

I lived in Cairo for several years a and had a 2006 3l v6 NP model Pajero.

It only has 26000km on the clock and I am considering importing it to the uk? Does anyone have any experiences to share or know of companies that could help.

If I couldn't get it registered here would it be worth doing for spares?

Matt
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 13:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Daisy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, sorry, been away - and didn't notice your post. oops  Wink

It should be do-able, and with such a low mileage I'd definitely go for it... !

However, my area of expertise is very much registering 'grey' imports in France, but if I can help at all I am happy to try. I can't imagine that it can be any more difficult ?

Very Happy  Very Happy
MP Driver

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:04    Post subject: Importing Grey import Pajeros to France from Jersey Reply with quote

Hi,

I've followed the post regarding this subject and prepared my 1993 SWB Pajero to be inspected by Dreal here in Brittany, France. Then Covid 19 came along and everywhere shut down. Has anyone attempted to import their Pajero over here since the infamous Brexit came into play?
Daisy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am not sure of the implications of brexit on importing cars from the UK now. Technically if the car has been imported into another EU country ( as UK was up until January this year ) it should be doable - TBH I don't have a clue. I'm currently imvestigating 'importing' my sailing boat which will now have to be French registered, it's been in the country since 2015.
I assume you have a French version of a Certificate of Partial Conformity and have visited the tax office for your quittus fiscale ?
When did you bring the car onto French soil ?
MP Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daisy,

I was hoping you'd see the post and reply, thanks.

My car was imported from Jersey in 2020 as a 'Japanese grey import' along with the Jersey import document and Part B of their respective V5 document. I have the purchase invoice indicating that all duty has been paid, but the pandemic prevented me from obtaining a quittus fiscal.

Having taken the vehicle to a Jersey ex-pat mechanic over here who is conversant with the re-registration process, he took my car to obtain a CT and the inspector couldn't process the inspection with the import documents I supplied, having also previously attempting to get a CT personally,  but stumbled at this point too. I have written to Mitsubishi France, and they could only supply a certificate of non-conformity, costing 250€.

My next step is to arrange a rendezvous with my local DREAL department to establish whether they'll pass the car, now that I've changed various light fittings to conform to EU markings, installed low-level rear bumper lights and ensured that the rear fog lamps operate on both sides of the car. All the windows are 'E' marked as are the tyres.

My Jersey contact advises me that since Boris' world beating Brexit agreement, Duanne - the customs duty department - are applying duty on all English imported cars based upon their assessment of the market value. An open-ended assessment apparently biased against the English importer. It appears that the English are being stigmatised due to their desire to leave the EU.

I would ideally like to register this car here as its sheer presence on the Brittany roads deters the Breton drivers from approaching me in the middle of the road, they tend to revert to their own side when they see a 4x4 approaching.

Any further advice would be most welcome.
Daisy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I would guess this is possibly a combination of Jersey, which is a crown dependency and brexit. It's not a case of the French stigmatising the UK, this is what anyone could see would happen - the UK is now a third country, so you are in much the same situation as if you wanted to import a car from the USA or Japan. Jersey was not in the EU ? I believe it is self governing, but not sure about the finer points ? so the fact it's been registered in Jersey may make little or no difference to importing direct from Japan.

I think there's a lot of confusion too about brexit here in France, we now have our cartes de sejour, but I am one of the ones who cannot change their driving licence as we are STILL waiting for the f'ing UK and France to sort out an agreement as to licence exchange. I applied with a dossier in 2019 but it was sent back as it wasn't necessary to swap. Should have done some kind of infraction and lost some points and then it would have been possible, but I've never gained points (or lost them in France ).
MP Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your prompt reply Daisy.

As you suspected, Jersey was never included as a member state of the EU and there has been quite a bit of dialogue on various sites regarding the difficulties of importing vehicles from this particular channel island. Regarding the 'stigmatising' issue, there have been reports of greater interest in UK registered vehicles by the police in our locality, and my English partner has experienced this personally. I am fortunate to be of dual nationality, with my Irish side now taking precedence over that of my English one. Perhaps this shall hold sway when I approach DREAL with a daft big Guinness hat on my head  Wink

Regarding the licence exchange fiasco, there was an article recently in the Connexion journal by a Paris based avocat, who described the bureaucratic system here as unintelligible and lethargic. I think he's got that right.

I shall persevere up to a point where if it becomes financially unviable to incur any further expense, I shall probably try to sell the car to an English buyer along with a valid Mot certificate, as it's in splendid condition with little or no corrosion to the chassis.

Thanks for your input.
Daisy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the best, hope you get there. It shouldn't be insurmountable, and if you do manage it, the second hand prices are way higher, or at least, were way higher than in the UK so it's worth doing. My original 1995 LWB, bought as a new but registered in the UK Jap import in 2005 - I sold it for over 4000 euros in 2019 - it now resides in St Tropez Smile. RHD was not an issue at all, we've had no problems selling French registered ex UK RHD cars, and haven't lost much if any money over what the LHD would cost. The mileage tends to be much lower,all the cars we'ce owned have FSH with all the bills unlike just oil changes...

The second SWB 2.8 Paj,  a 1993 car, we were given for nothing for spares by some friends who had given up trying to register it. It had been in France for several years on UK plates. I registered it, cost a few hundred euros, I then sold it for 3000 euros to a local who used it for whacking round the forest, he's a hunter. I shared some of the proceeds with our friends of course.
MP Driver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Daisy,

Your experience and resolve are an inspiration to the likes of me with so many barriers presented here towards the introduction of Japanese grey imports to France.

I shall report back, chronicling any progress - or not - and hopefully it will be of assistance to others wishing to bring these excellent vehicles to this beautiful country.

Cheers,

Mike
Daisy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, look forward to reading your progress Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> SVA / ESVA / Certificate of Conformity Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: