2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

1990 2.5TD -Got O/D again -info for all Interested -

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D14sel

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi would this fix work on a 92 2.5 exceed too my o/d is only dropping 200 revs and screams at 60 =\
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

praeses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi would this fix work on a 92 2.5 exceed too my o/d is only dropping 200 revs and screams at 60 =\

you probably are only feeling the torque converter, not the actual shift if it's 200 revs at 60mph. The actual rpm difference I think is around 25% so it should be more like 500 rpm (depending on your final drive ratio).

I'ld suggest going through the fixes in a similar order, temp sensor being a big one.
Alexr89

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reading through this myself, good stuff!

So was your fix a combination of using the dremel and cutting the positive wire to the gearbox solenoid? If it gets my OD back I don't mind not being able to switch it off.

Is the solenoid in question on the passenger side of the gearbox? Just im confuses as in the post it mentions removing the cross member

I've tried everything else and in getting desperate as I have a few long motorway trips coming up

Thanks!
Alexr89

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. My plan is to temporarily wire a live feed to the solenoid to bypass it and rule out the wiring. If that doesn't work I presume it's the solenoid itself or OD clutch
Alexr89

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just confused, a post on here mentions bypassing the electric complety by supplying a direct feed to the solenoid but in the post it mentions cutting the feed completely to get over drive?
pabroon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks.

Apologies for bumping this up, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Is there any updated info on this issue? This is the top search result for the most of the permutations of search terms, so it would be good to know?

(Also, my 1992 Pajero 2.5td auto V24WG O/D is goosed.)

So far; changed the temp sensor (also swapped out thermostat, because why not). Took the inner O ring out of the O/D Solenoid... OD button is working, light comes on. Going by it's behaviour, it's most probably mechanical, not electrical, it went slowly. (I think it's the O/D clutch if I'm being honest, in which case, the best way to fix it is to sell it. Wink )

Cheers

Paul B
pabroon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the benefit of anyone who finds this thread, (because if you Google Mitsubishi Pajero no O/D - this appears...)

Essentially, what the O/P said is true. Assuming your O/D solenoid is goosed - over time metal shavings from gearbox parts are attracted to the magnetic components of the solenoid causing it to jam - and it cannot be cleaned, (I tried)).

Turns out, the auto box in 1990's Pajero's was also used in same-era Volvo 240 and 940 GL's - and there is a solenoid bypass 'fix' you can buy. It's about $25 from the US (via eBay) and does work. It's a lump of aluminium which bolts to where the solenoid goes, it has an o-ring and not much else - it just allows fluid to flow.

Equally, you can just Dremel the solenoid as described. (I didn't want to do that because I wasn't sure if that was the problem.)

Remember, you should absolutely change the fluid and filter in the box anyway.

But yup, this fixed it for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: