Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Pajero Headlamp Replacement or Equal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkelly5

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:47    Post subject: Pajero Headlamp Replacement or Equal? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Have a 1996 Pajero 2800 TDI Japanese Import . Passenger headlamp cracked and went out this week. Its an "Old School" Lamp/Glass unit. Marked "Halogen Koito 6L12" on glass. I cant find any sites with new on them. Found some used on Ebay but not keen to put a used bulb in truck.  Anyone making new replacement bulbs that work? Thanks, Tom
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simonfathead

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use milner off road check to see if i got your car correct ( I guessed 5 door)

https://www.milneroffroad.com/mitsubishi-pajero-5-door-2.8-diesel-from-1993-to-2000-v46p/catalogue/front-lighting-befl-be
radiomike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Koito 6L12 that I have come across use an H4 Halogen bulb.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful Mike as a large number were removed from breakers and modified for HiD units, believe a firm in or near Northampton were doing them.
tkelly5

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:02    Post subject: Pajero Headlamp Replacement Technique? Reply with quote

Thanks all. I thought this was a sealed beam unit, but you are all right, it is a halogen replacement bulb inside a glass housing. Thanks for the new site to look for parts had not heard of that one.

so, turns out this Koito glass housing is a standard 7" dia lamp housing that several Toyota landcruisers of the era used, but with a different mounting bracket, so you have to re-use the metal adjustment 3 point bracket.

to change the H4 bulb in the passenger side, 1996 Pajero 3 door, Right Hand (UK) Drive,  the windshield fluid resevoir is in the way.

do I remove that resevoir to get at the bulb, or do you have to start taking off the mounting brackets that hold the light in?

Be interested to know how folks change the bulb on that side, could find no helpful Youtube Videos for this particular model .  Thanks, TK
robfinger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't the washer fluid reservoir that gets in your way there, but the radiator coolant overflow tank. Simply lift it off its mount and set it off to the side without disconnecting the hose, just be careful to not tip it and spill its contents.
tkelly5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lads. Koito not making this part anymore I confirmed.
However, i have learned that a few "universal 7" round - H4" housings "might" fit. Have to trial and error it.

I  went to a UK dismantler aggregate site, and an Irish one , to search 300+ dismantlers to see if anyone has this part.   Ebay has one offering.
So, will see what comes back.
assassin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its glass you can use standard windscreen resin kits to repair it, I prefer the Rain X kit myself as it always performs.
assassin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its glass you can use standard windscreen resin kits to repair it, I prefer the Rain X kit myself as it always performs.
robfinger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Land Rover Defender (the boxy old ones, not that stupid thing they recently released) uses 7" headlamps. Britpart makes replacements for those, easily sourced from eBay and cheap enough (about 30 bucks for the pair and that includes H4 bulbs, fully street legal setup based on how many of those we ran thru MOT at an old job of mine). Now personally I'd stay away from anything and everything Britpart, but they are an option.

There are also kits by Wipac such as this one, bit pricy but I like the fact it uses good quality bulbs:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Car-7-inch-Quadoptic-Headlamp-Kit-One-Pair-Headlights-H4-Bulbs-WIPAC-/254568321749?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Also take a look at these, you can get them in flat lens or domed depending on the look you want, I ran similar Autopal assemblies in my F350 Ford back in the States with some 100/130W bulbs in them (quad-beam setup so one pair was street-legal and the other for use only when no one else was about but the damn deer) and they held up to the high heat just fine for years. These exact units here have city lights built in which often interfere with the factory mounting buckets, but send them a message and they'll probably be able to source you the simpler version:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Car-7-Flat-Lens-H4-Halogen-Headlight-Headlamp-Conversion-Bulb-Pilot-/284422578083?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I'm actually lusting after the JW Speaker LEDs, but those are proper high-quality assemblies designed for use in expensive classic trucks and such and the cost reflects that. Still that's what my aforementioned F350 will get when it gets shipped across the Atlantic, at some point cost becomes not a concern when you're already driving a one-off vehicle already.
tkelly5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 18:42    Post subject: 6L12 headlamps update Reply with quote

Hey lads just to close this out, all great suggestions . I like the resin repair kit option as well , I saw an online ad for a windshield crack repair kit, thought it might work. Anyway I bought a salvaged OE on eBay for 29 pounds plus 19 shipping .  Here is a reply from BJ’ offroad in the States in case you want another option for right hand drivers.

if you are in the USA (or any country that drives on the right side of the road), you'll want our Koito lamps here: https://www.bjsoffroad.com/Koito-European-Spec-E-Code-7-Round-Headlamp_p_2198.html. The ones you requested are for countries where you drive on the left side of the road. The Koito's we sell are a direct fit for your Pajero (exact replacement). What's the difference? All low beam light patterns are asymmetrical; those for use in right-hand traffic direct most of their light rightward to provide adequate seeing distance down the driver's own side of the road, while limiting leftward light to control glare toward oncoming drivers. Left-traffic headlamps are opposite: most of their light is directed leftward, while rightward light is limited. When left-traffic headlamps are used in right-hand traffic, most of their light is directed into the eyes of oncoming traffic, while the driver has inadequate seeing distance down their own side of the road.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: