Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Mk 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brnelam

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 18:17    Post subject: Mk 4 Reply with quote

Does the Mk 4 have the same problems with the fuel pumps the mk 3 has.
thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 18:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

ALFONSO

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:27    Post subject: mk4 Reply with quote

no completly different system mk4 is high pressure pump with fuel rail and electronic injectors
radiomike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, common rail but steer clear of the 2007/9 models, low power, £585 tax and troublesome DPF system on autos.
Bradwell Boy

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2007 Auto. I did a bit of research before purchasing and my price range dictated the purchase.  I knew the road tax was expensive but do I need to prepare myself  for a DPF issue ??????
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

What issues are you expecting?

Main issues with DPF systems arise from improper use and its as simple as giving the vehicle a high speed run immediately the DPF light illuminates as this raises the operating gases temperature and begins combusting the particulate matter and burns it off, then gives a couple of grey puffs as the burned ash exits the DPF and thats it, the light is extinguished and the DPF is cleared.

What happens in reality (usually with women and some men with no knowledge) is the DPF light illuminates and they think "pretty orange light" and carry on driving with it illuminated for weeks or months and suddenly they lose engine power as it becomes clogged and drops into limp mode, then its into the garage who see "sucker" and replace the DPF instead of doing a regen and charge a fortune for doing it.

Simple rule: if the DPF light illumunates drive it at high speed along a dual carriageway or motorway and it does the regen and the light goes out, never leave it and ideally don't stop the engine once the light is illuminated.
Bradwell Boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

radiomike wrote:
Yes, common rail but steer clear of the 2007/9 models, low power, £585 tax and troublesome DPF system on autos.

I was just going by the above, I have had diesels for the last 15 years never had any DPF issues because. The statement just seemed specific to my year ????
radiomike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradwell Boy wrote:
radiomike wrote:

I was just going by the above, I have had diesels for the last 15 years never had any DPF issues because. The statement just seemed specific to my year ????

2007/8/9 auto models with closed flow dpf had a somewhat crude system that injecting fuel into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke to carry out the regen, some of this fuel would remain in the cylinders causing bore wash and would also pass by the rings and dilute the oil. To give you an idea of the amount of fuel being used our 2007 model would be showing between 9-13mpg at a steady 50mph during a regen. In our case a regen started on the return leg of a run from MK to Thetford with a 2 ton trailer at speeds of 50mph+ mainly on dual carriageways, the heat developed during this run should have been adequate to burn off the deposits without needing a regen. The ECU decided that the regen was not successful and continued to inject fuel on the exhaust stroke until the sump contained about 4 litres of diesel. As it was under warrantee Mitsubishi picked up the repair cost which included a software update. It was never quite right, continued to do regens at the strangest times and was sold off at just 2 years old.

2010/11 models had an open flow dpf (no regens) and were possibly the best of the mk4s with good performance and reasonable fuel consumption.

Later models returned to closed flow and had a fifth injector in the exhaust which got round the problem of injecting on the exhaust stroke. They do not seem to suffer the same problems as the early ones.
Bradwell Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I understand the issue now and the system used for this particular year range 07,08 and 09 , but were you just unlucky or have there been more instances as I have not read anywhere else that this was a problem.
Usually forums have a dedicated topic on issues such as this. I know its a problem with the Volvo D5 if you just do the school runs/weekly shopping etc as I am a member of that forum as we have an XC70.
Rocket88

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, i feel i am quite knowledgeable on the past models Mk1-Mk3, but now i am running the Mk4 2007, i am not so converse with DPF system or indeed what it is. Can anyone enlighten me please?
assassin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPF or diesel particulate filters are inserted into the exhaust pipe, they catch the diesel black smoke which is particulate matter which is expelled during the engine running in a filter block and prevents it from exiting the exhaust, into the environment, this cleans up the exhaust emissions and reduces them. As the filter block catches these soot particles it clogs up like any other filter and it has a process called regeneration which burns them off at high temperatures and turns them into less harmful ash, once turned to ash it blows them out of the exhaust as a grey puff.

Regeneration is done in two ways, generally passive and active regeneration and this is broadly the two ways the system burns off the soot particles it traps; if you drive at high speeds such as motorway speeds for sufficient distances it raises the temperatures inside the DPF to burn off the deposits and it continually does this and prevents them from building up; if you drive at mainly low speeds for short journeys the DPF doesn't get hot enough for long enough to burn them off and you need something to heat the DPF up to sufficiently high temperatures for long enough to burn them off.

This is done in 2 ways, direct or indirect injection of fuel into the exhaust, the fuel then burns and heats the DPF up to sufficient temperatures and you have to drive at such speed to maintain these tmperatures for long enough to burn the soot particles into a fine ash at which point it is expelled from the exhaust.
Bradwell Boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our case a regen started on the return leg of a run from MK to Thetford with a 2 ton trailer at speeds of 50mph+ mainly on dual carriageways, the heat developed during this run should have been adequate to burn off the deposits without needing a regen. The ECU decided that the regen was not successful and continued to inject fuel on the exhaust stroke until the sump contained about 4 litres of diesel. As it was under warrantee Mitsubishi picked up the repair cost which included a software update. It was never quite right, continued to do regens at the strangest times and was sold off at just 2 years old.

Looks to me like you were just unlucky then. Would have expected towing 2 ton at 50 mph + would have kept things clean and burnt off any deposits.
That said, I will keep an eye on my oil level to make sure it is not rising.

Thought I had got rid of the "Time Bomb" issue when I changed out my last Trooper for this Shogun!!!!!

We regularly tow 3 Ton (Horses and Trailer) so I am hoping the load on the engine will keep the DPF clean.
assassin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradwell Boy wrote:
In our case a regen started on the return leg of a run from MK to Thetford with a 2 ton trailer at speeds of 50mph+ mainly on dual carriageways, the heat developed during this run should have been adequate to burn off the deposits without needing a regen. The ECU decided that the regen was not successful and continued to inject fuel on the exhaust stroke until the sump contained about 4 litres of diesel. As it was under warrantee Mitsubishi picked up the repair cost which included a software update. It was never quite right, continued to do regens at the strangest times and was sold off at just 2 years old.

Looks to me like you were just unlucky then. Would have expected towing 2 ton at 50 mph + would have kept things clean and burnt off any deposits.
That said, I will keep an eye on my oil level to make sure it is not rising.

Thought I had got rid of the "Time Bomb" issue when I changed out my last Trooper for this Shogun!!!!!

We regularly tow 3 Ton (Horses and Trailer) so I am hoping the load on the engine will keep the DPF clean.

Its not so much the load (this helps EGT's) as its the speed and distance, for the regeneration to be successful sufficient speed must be sustained for a long enough period.

Issues often arise when someone does a short high speed burst such as along a dual carriageway, and this starts the regeneration process, suddenly their speed drops due to possible traffic jams, traffic lights, or islands, the exhaust temeratures drop to below those needed for the regeneration and it aborts the process and shows as an incomplete regeneration and it has to start the process again and allow suficient time and speed for it to complete the process.

This is why I prefer motorway running as you warm the vehicle up on the way to the motorway, thrash it along the slip road to fully heat the exhaust gases, and running at 70 MPH continually for a normal junction usually gives the regeneration process sufficient time at elevated temperatures to complete the process fully.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: