2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Leaking ATF from gearbox at motorway speeds but not slower

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabbers

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:43    Post subject: Leaking ATF from gearbox at motorway speeds but not slower Reply with quote

Hi everyone!!
Very much my first time posting on any forum and not incredibly mechanically minded so be gentle haha

Right! I have bought a 2005 Pajero with the 3.0 V6 on an auto box, all is well apart from some engine codes and now a leaking gearbox. I've been working through the codes (P0125 Insufficient coolant temperature for closed loop fuel control (confirmed), P0170 Fuel trim malfunction bank 1 (pending), P0173 Fuel trim malfunction bank 2 (pending)) next step from what i can tell (reading up on forums) is o2 sensors and then the throttle control module. Whilst I'm here to ask about the gearbox I thought that was also worth mentioning.

ATF levels have been fine not requiring topping up for the past 6 months, this being just the short time I have owned the vehicle. Then my family came to visit and it had its first trip down a motorway or peage seen as I'm in France. Stop at the peage booths to pay my toll, notice smoke coming out the bonnet, obviously I pull over directly after the booths and have a look. Doesn't look to be coming out of the sump anywhere. There's some drips on some bolt heads on the underside of the gearbox. Looks more to be somewhere around the front as that's where the oil mostly is. It has dripped on the front prop shaft which has spread it around (including the exhaust, hence the  smoke) making it difficult to see where it has leaked from. Naturally, I cleaned all this up then went for a drive, came home climbed back under, no leak! Check ATF level as it was. So now I'm here hoping you knowledgable lot can help me out? Why would it leak on the motorway and doesn't seem to be elsewhere. I live in a mountainous area so highest speed locally about 80kph (50mphish) I was cruising on the motorway approx 100kph-110kph (60-70mphish) just before I noticed the smoke at the peage. Strangely was quite a considerable leak and as I say driving round locally and keeping an eye on the levels seems to be fine. I drive for about ten minutes to get the box up to hot to check the level, is that enough time/heat?

I have always absolutely loved these cars from afar but never quite been in the position to afford one, please help me get to the bottom of this and keep living the dream! I can exchange some secret locals only off piste summer and winter lines in the Porte du Soleil for bikes, board/skis and offroading for your expertise haha. if you're every holidaying out here?!

If there's anything I could of added to help with diagnosis please let me know?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and doubly triply thanks for any help/advice offered!!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Jabbers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry! It is a Shogun sport not normal Shogun.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly you need to fully check the ATF cooler lines from the gearbox to the ATF cooler, these comprise steel pipes with rubber connecting pipes.

Check the steel pipes for corrosion as these can corrode and become porous and at elevated speeds sufficient pressures inside the lines may cause slight leaking.
Where the rubber pipes connect to the steel pipes, any corroded steel pipes may be sufficiently crushed to allow the steel pipes to leak, these will look like a joint leaking.

Rubber connecting pipes often become hard and brittle, they generally crack and can weep fluid at speeds, similarly they can delaminate and the layers of pipe come apart, fluid often tracks along the reinforcing fibres and finds a route out somewhere else. They also rub on part of the chassis and split the pipes and the split isn't obvious until you remove the pipe, so check for rubbing and chafe marks.
Jabbers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to me! Sorry for taking a while to reply, posted all over. Ended up with just being the cam covers on the back of the head. Told I wasn't very mechanically minded. They've been replaced and no more leaking oil. Managed to get rid of the engine codes as well. Just got a throttle/revs issue now. Going to make another post. Thanks once again Assasin!

assassin wrote:
Firstly you need to fully check the ATF cooler lines from the gearbox to the ATF cooler, these comprise steel pipes with rubber connecting pipes.

Check the steel pipes for corrosion as these can corrode and become porous and at elevated speeds sufficient pressures inside the lines may cause slight leaking.
Where the rubber pipes connect to the steel pipes, any corroded steel pipes may be sufficiently crushed to allow the steel pipes to leak, these will look like a joint leaking.

Rubber connecting pipes often become hard and brittle, they generally crack and can weep fluid at speeds, similarly they can delaminate and the layers of pipe come apart, fluid often tracks along the reinforcing fibres and finds a route out somewhere else. They also rub on part of the chassis and split the pipes and the split isn't obvious until you remove the pipe, so check for rubbing and chafe marks.
[align=justify]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: