QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

4M40: Lack of power, smoke and a knock.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gazzer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:39    Post subject: 4M40: Lack of power, smoke and a knock. Reply with quote

The engine revs up OK when stationary, the intercooler pipes swell up, everything sounds sweet.
Oil, fuel and air filters changed. Air box free of obstructions.

Drive the car, OK in first, sluggish in second, then the smoke and lack of power comes and occasionally a loud engine knock.
Stop the car, leave the engine running, pull away, good in first but in second it dies.

Stripped off the EGR valve. Clean and free working.

Removed the bolts for the waste gate valve and checked it's movement. Seems to stick either in full retraction or full extent.
Now if it stuck on full open once boost max is reached, this would reduce turbo pressure, cause lack of power and black smoke.
Back to idle and the valve then closes again allowing good acceleration in first gear I'm guessing.
The valve spindle may be worn causing the flap to twist and jam in the hole.
It's a whole piece replacement probably including a turbo if bought second hand.

As this is not my car I am reluctant to take a punt on that part and it's associated cost of replacement.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

The car was brought to me for a service and pre ITV (MOT) check, this fault occurred 2 days before it was brought to me, but as the owners live on the coast (flat) the significance of the smoke wasn't apparent until they started to climb up away from the sea level.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello.

Have you tried it with the EGR disconnected? Although it looks like the EGR is working it might not be working at the right time.
gazzer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I'll put a pipe clamp over the hose and chuck it up the hill.

On the end of the inlet manifold is the over boost protection valve. I've never had cause to disturb this before but the "disc" part of the valve spins round. Is this the normal position for it? There is no evidence of oily intake gas escaping from it. Just thought if it was weak then that could produce a lack of power.

What I don't understand is where id the piston knock comes from or more correctly what causes the engine to knock? It seems to knock when you start to lift off the throttle unless that is coincidence that I hear the knock and lift off rapidly.

Russek's manual doesn't show anything about the EGR system and the Hayne's manual only deals with EGR on petrol engines. I've not traced the vac pipes back but the relays are on the bulkhead by the right hand rear intercooler mount? What produces the signal to activate it?

Time for Sunday Service, holy red wine bottle with my name on it!

Laterz!
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

just remove the egr vacuum pipe, and try it. I have never found out what actually controls the bulkhead vacuum control valves. I bought a new set of control valves for mine and it made no difference. I removed the whole lot and it works fine. I have no idea what causes the knocking but it does sound terminal,  but it isn't. Don"t know about the relief valve but I doubt from what I have learned on here that it would cause a problem.

On that note I think I will join you in prayer
gazzer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clamped off the pipe, took it up the hill and it worked.
Removed the clamp and then traced the pipe to the upper relay on the bulk head. Pulled the plug, took it for a drive again. Result, no issues.
Thanks for your help.
gazzer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it for test this afternoon and it passed. Exhaust opacity 1.24 on the third rev up.

Owner now has to get the clutch change organised.
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done.

Glad you got it sorted.
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

emax wrote:
well done.

Glad you got it sorted.

//. and well done to you emax for the tip   Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: