Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Anti freeze confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbike

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:32    Post subject: Anti freeze confusion Reply with quote

Hi all.
Subject Shogun is a 2016 3.2
Truck was bought with blue anti freeze. Having only experience of a MK3 that used orange, I questioned if this was correct. I was told and shown on Mitsubishi web site that it is correct. It’s a 5 year blue product. Trouble is getting hold of some top up. Man at Mitsubishi center just said any blue will do which I don’t believe. Can anyone shed some words of wisdom please.
Best regards
R
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anti freeze comes in many colours as the colour is only a dye, problems come when people make assumptions based solely upon the colour.

You CANNOT mix the traditional blue non OAT with the newer long life OAT as it forms a gel in the cooling system and clogs it up, if the man showed you the Mitsubishi website it proves nothing as you need the manufacturer who supplied the anti freeze and the correct specifications for that in your engine cooling system I would suggest some sales B/S going on here as most traditional non OAT anti freeze is blue and to my knowledge nobody makes the OAT long life in blue as the original non OAT Bluecol was blue (2 years only) and the colour stuck.

My advice would be to look for the specifications in your vehicle manual, go to sites such as Opie Oils who list anti freeze and their specifications and get the correct specification long life OAT anti freeze, drain the system down by removing the bottom radiator hose and a rear heater rubber hose and let it drain. Go to the engine and remove the plastic trim cover and look down the offside of the cylinger head and a steel pipe comes from the thermostat housing to a rubber pipe, remove the rubber pipe and flush through with a hosepipe, flush the rear heater pipes in the same way, fill the rear heater pipes with the hose and quickly refit the rubber hose to stop water loss, refit the bottom radiator and thermostat rubber hoses and add a cooling system cleaner, fill with water and run the engine until it is hot.

This will dilute the remaining anti freeze in the numerous voids and the cleaner will clean it out, don't leave it overnight this time of year without anti freeze, drain it off and repeat the above to drain it and flush it, refill with clean water only as this further dilutes any remaining cleaner and run until the vehicle is hot and drain it down again.

With a fully cleaned system you slowly add 4.5L of your new long life OAT anti freeze and let it settle, slowly add filtered water (if you have a water filter) until it is full, put a little anti freeze into the header/expansion tank anf top up to the level with water. Run the engine for a few minutes to circulate the water and let it settle for a few minutes and slowly remove the radiator cap to release any pressure and top up with water.

Carry a 5L container and run the vehicle locally and watch the temperature guage, this should remove any remaining air from the system and mix the anti freeze with the water, leave overnight and check the next morning and top up with water if necessary, this will give you a 50;50 mix and be good for the next 5 years.
assassin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60276-millers-oils-alpine-antifreeze-coolant-extend-red-concentrate.aspx
kbike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Assassin. Would you please be so kind as to take a look at the following link and maybe give me your thoughts.

mservice411.com/c/coolants

Best regards
R
assassin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the Dia Queen specification for Mitsubishi anti freeze where it comes in as a pre mixed container, usually 45 gallon or 205 litre drums and is what Mitsubishi now recommend for later MK4 models and is currently supplied directly to Mitsubishi dealers from Morris Lubricants in Brighouse.

You now need to look carefully at the colour of your anti freeze and ascertain whether it is the normal mid blue of traditional non OAT Bluecol type anti freezes, or the lighter blue of genuine Morris supplied OAT anti freeze to main agents.

next question would be:

Was the vehicle serviced by a Mitsubishi main dealer? If the answer was yes then it is likely the genuine recommended OAT technology anti freeze Morris supplies to Mitsubishi.

If the answer is no then be very suspicious as non Mitsubishi dealers have a habit of putting the Bluecol type non OAT anti freeze in and diluting it down as the more water you add the lighter the colour becomes.
kbike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Assassin. You have confirmed my suspicions. I will look at the colour of the existing antifreeze and compare it to the five litres of the Morris’s Mitsubishi anti freeze I have managed to source. I do have full service history and although the truck hasn’t been serviced entirely by Mitsubishi there is no reports of replacement of the coolant. I will pour a jar of each and compare colour. All I want to achieve is to have a couple of litres of the correct fluid on the garage shelf for top up and general maintenance. Why does things have to get so complicated.🙄
My thanks again
R

By the way the truck has only 37k on it so I would tend to think that it’s a bit early to have garages changing/topping up coolant
assassin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don;t forget to add 50% water to the anti freeze before comparing colour.
assassin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don;t forget to add 50% water to the anti freeze before comparing colour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: