Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Hi & Lo Beam controls on the Pajero.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sats

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:08    Post subject: Hi & Lo Beam controls on the Pajero. Reply with quote

When on High-Beam mode do BOTH the Hi & Lo filaments in the H4 bulbs come ON on the Pajero SFX/GLX models?....or is it faulty relayed wiring on my SFX (by the past electrician?!) Shocked
Don't know if powering BOTH filaments(100W+90W) "simultaneously" is Mitsubishi's  way of illuminating the road ahead; but deep inside i feel the nett heat inside the H/lamp units can then reach alarming levels!? Now i am contemplating bifurcating the HI & LO circuits to trigger ONE filament at a time to prolong the life of the H/Lamp bulbs as also reflectors......?!
Anyone here sharing my views...?! Rolling Eyes
Cheers!
Sats
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

robfinger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model year truck is this? Regardless, 100W/90W is close to double the legal limits of power, iirc YNt law calls for no more than 65W on high beam and 55W on low,  per bulb obviously. Personally I've ran H4 bulbs in the 110W high beam version (in a dedicated quad-lamp setup out across the desert (and deserted) roads where you don't see another vehicle for hours in end) for long periods of time and the bulbs could definitely handle it and proper glass lenses with metal reflectors don't seem to have a problem with it, but I'd be quite hesitant to try running those power levels in both low and high beams together in any lamp assembly that's not railroad engine sized.

My suggestion would be to either uncouple the high and low beams from each other so you can keep the high-power bulbs without melting stuff down, or if you like the low+high simultaneously then drop your bulbs down to legal power levels. Also do keep in mind that low+high operation is usually done on vehicle with separate low and ligh beam bulbs, so if you only got one pair of H4 bulbs and no H1s at all then I'm thinking someone was most likely working on the factory wiring to make it behave in the manner you see now.
Sats

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day!
Thanks for the clarification & recommendations too! Appreciated.
My truck is a 2008 model in the domestic market; and were sold here CBU from Japan.
Yes!....next i intend to segregate the HI & LO circuits routed through a H/Lamp relay+harness and deploy 60/55W Koito halogen bulbs. That must/should sort out the overheating issue as also any component issues on long-haul duty.
Cheers & Happy Trucking!!
Sats
robfinger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your wiring look monkeyed with already? If not I'd be VERY tempted to just drop in those 60/55s and see how that works.👍
Sats

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 14:39    Post subject: Hella wiring harness+60/55W Halogen bulbs on! Reply with quote

Yep!.....since my 2.8L truck was bought pre-used the wiring was indeed re-done/modified to suit a.k.a monkeyed around with -hence it failed. Rolling Eyes
Now i reverted back(?) to standard procedure with a Hella 100/90 compatible relay+ harness with ceramic holders and 60/55W halogen bulbs(Koito). The beam pattern is way different from the Flosser 100/90 H4's of the past but the illumination/beam spread is good -if not better/brighter.
Hopefully this set-up will run cooler & longer & trouble-free too, let's see.
Someday...i'd next 'experiment' with HID Bi Xenon lamps!  Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: