Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Struggling to find an AT tyre to fit 20” wheels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Misanthroper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:17    Post subject: Struggling to find an AT tyre to fit 20” wheels Reply with quote

Well aware a 20” wheel isn’t ideally suited to off roading, but my 2012 mk4 LWB has 265/50/20 size and I don’t want to stretch to new wheels right now, so want a good AT tyre that will handle light off road use, some muddy tracks, and snow, so something like radar rebel at, Bridgestone dueller, just a solid, good looking tyre that is a bit do-it-all.

Problem I’m having is finding any in stock anywhere at that size, or in a lot of cases any that size at all. Ideally want to stick to around £180 per tyre, and was hoping to have fitting locally (near Maidstone in Kent) but could get them shipped and fired at a local garage, and wanted to see what other owners with this entry size have gone for.

Otherwise any recommendations for a wheel and tyre set, and Ill ditch the 20’s and go for a smaller size that will still fit over the brake disks and not need too much fettling to fit. That way go for a really chunky look.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

robfinger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooper makes the Discoverer AT3 4S in that size that is also winter rated with the mountain peaks symbol. Yokohama Geolander A/T G015, Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail, Toyota Open Country A/T III, and Kumho Krugen  HT51 (that one particularly has tons of good reviews) also fit that criteria. If you don't care for winter ratings you got lots more options from pretty much all the major tire manufacturers. Do keep in mind that I'm using TireRack.com as a source of info and they show tires available in the US which may not necessarily be available in the UK, but then again on my personal vehicle everything is US-made (Grabbers and BFG Muds) so the overall availability seems to be pretty solid here, just may have to order from an online supplier instead of a local tire shop. Unfortunately my personal favorite made by Goodyear  (and I'm generally not a fan of their tires but this one model seems to be nothing short of absolutely amazing) doesn't come in that size, but I've ran Cooper AT3 on a 1-ton Ford truck and it's been quite good in all conditions, and Kumho Krugen HT51 has been solid as well in winter conditions but idk about mud and such as it was (still is afaik) on a minivan and those ain't the best vehicle for offloading 🤣 Michigan weather this is all based on,  mud and stuff is the same everywhere (except the red Georgia clay, avoid anything like that at all costs), but I'm yet to see anything in England so much as attempts to come close to proper MI winter (maybe Scotland will have it?) and ours there still ain't even all that terrible compared to what the Canadians gotta deal with 🤦‍♂️
radiomike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen these? 265/50/20 RADAR TYRES RENEGADE AT-5 112V
Know nothing whatsoever about them but they seem cheap at £150 and supposedly in stock at 4x4 tyres Stratford. They are also showing the Cooper Discoverer AT3 but they are £210. 265/50R20 is not widely used which makes it an expensive option.
Misanthroper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really helpful info, thanks both, prefer the coopers i think but price wise the radars look like excellent value, will do some research on those choices and let you know what I end up going for.
robfinger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coopers need regular rotation to get the most out of them. Well most tires do anyway, but some models are less picky about it, these are NOT them! Personally I see this as a perfect opportunity to check on the brakes end such more frequently than it usually happens, not a bad thing actually 👍
Misanthroper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering how well Radars R/T tyres would compare to an A/T tyre like the Cooper. Looks wise prefer the R/T but not sure it would be as good in icy or snow conditions, any experience with R/T tyres vs A/T?
robfinger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does RADAR not make an A/T Renegade in your size? The R/T looks like a baby M/T, so I'd question it's winter performance. I just took four M/T BFGs off my truck actually, 3/4 of the year they're great but on snow they fail quite spectacularly 😂
Misanthroper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update, I’ve gone with Radar Renegade AT5’s, just waiting for a fitting date, they get decent reviews and should be more than sufficient for the bit of muddy road and snow driving I do.

Hopefully they work well enough on road as well, but I’ll report back after I’ve had them on for a bit, I paid £117 a tire which odd a really good price proving everything goes through okay.
Misanthroper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the Radar Renegade AT5’s fitted yesterday, have done some motorway and B road journeys and its loads better than the mismatched tyres I had on previously, decent improvement in ride and handling.

They are noisier than the previous tyres but it’s a not too loud hum more than anything major, so I’m happy with them so far, especially given their price, they look really cool too.
Misanthroper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add, only paid £470 for 4 tyres, and £120 for fitting and balancing, so really good price considering the size of them, the fitting place were a bit bemused when they saw the size of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: