2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

brake pipes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuria

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 19:27    Post subject: brake pipes. Reply with quote

mot today . advisory on the brake pipes.... Laughing  they do need doing
last mot  the brake hose were advised but passed today...
anyone know if the pipes can be bought as a kit?
got all the hoses from last year,
thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 19:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most car shops make them up from your old ones and you simply take them along and they neasure them up and flare then for you with either a single or double flare and fit the correct fitting.

Alternatively: you can buy a blake flaring tool and cupro nickel pipe and the correct ends and simply flare your own, I haven't bought any for over 35 years as I flare my own from cupro nickel pipe and its fit and forget as it doesn't rust.
samuria

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. is the cupro nickel pipe different to
the copper brake pipe? and which is best?
thanks
radiomike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

samuria wrote:
thanks. is the cupro nickel pipe different to
the copper brake pipe? and which is best?
thanks

Copper is not the best as it work hardens while being flared, bent or if it vibrates, they used to recommend no more than 12" without a clip. Cupro nickel is great, easy to flare or bend and is available in 3m straight lengths from the likes of Automec which makes a neater job than trying to straighten it from the usual coil. You could try Automec at Buckingham to see if they have the dimensions for the pipes you need, they have many cars covered and make the production pipes for McLaren.
assassin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to Mikes post, recently many scammers have bought standard copper pipe in rolls and cut it to length and pass it off as brake pipe when it is standard copper pipe and has a bursting pressure of 150 PSI whereas Cupro nickel brake pipe has a minimum bursting pressure of 3250PSI and this is because the brakes work around 3000PSI in many braking systems.

By avoiding copper and opting for Cupro Nickel you avoid the potential problems and have comeback against the legitimate sellers and not the online scammers from another country.
samuria

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks guys... do you know the connector sizes ?
reading older posts  it seems to be 10mm x 1.mm is that right?
cheers  Confused
2.25diesel

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were all M10x1 threads on my MK1. Also see the link to an old post I made about the difference between Japanese and Euro brake union nuts.

Brake union nut differences.

I made the replacement pipes on the bench from a length of cupronickel pipe. I first removed the corroded steel ones from the vehicle and used them as patterns to bend the new ones to. A decent flaring tool also makes the job a lot easier.

The cupronickel pipe looks a lot different from copper as it is a dull silver colour. It should be obvious if anyone is trying to sell copper pipe as cupronickel.

I would recommend buying the pipe from a known supplier. I used to buy 25 foot lengths from my local Motor Parts Direct branch. I also once returned a possibly defective pack as it was getting hairline cracks where I flared it. They replaced it with another pack which didn't have the same problem.
samuria

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks guys for the advise. will now be looking to buy
a brake flaring tool. i called automec  and fell off my seat when they quoted the price £219.00
plus post. that's for a lwb model. i would have to measure some of the pipes and let them
know. then a kit would be made. me buying all the bits and flaring tool must save a load of cash!!!!!
what tool would you recommend guys? i might only use it for this pajero Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: